Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun
mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Post by mrow2 » 20 Dec 2015 21:10

Hi, we need to check the tolerance of the pad surface. It should be about 1mm. If not, return them to me for a new set asap. Some models do better with the Alvania grease applied sparingly to the paddle (clean the surface first, then apply the alvania). 99.99+% of the feedback is good, this causes me to wonder about the pressure the paddle is applying to the steuerpimpel lift pin, whether additional cleaning and servicing in that area is needed due to old, hardened grease. If the main lever paddle is adjustable (height-wise) this could help too. A full cleaning and servicing of these parts may be required, and the pad thickness of the pimpels should be double checked but that is not required if you just want to try another set. I suspect additional servicing is needed however. Procedures are here at the forum and at Dualcan's site for deep servicing.

I need to cross-ref this query to the actual transaction, with order-info.

If in doubt, just return them for another pair, use just a regular cross border letter Post stamp and tape them to a 8.5x11 piece of paper, I don't care if they are damaged or not (so they do not need to be wrapped the way they are when originally sent out) but inspection will allow me to verify QC on these. PM me with your email address for a new instruction guide N/C of course. Thank you Don (mrow22).

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 28 Dec 2015 11:06

Just check the lengths of the pimpels. I needed to trim down the one on my 601 as the mounting pin is spring loaded, but it's working beautifully now with absolutely no judder and precise positioning.

bigrecord

Post by bigrecord » 25 Feb 2016 08:54

hi to everyone, i just bought myself a Dual 1010 and i have found the tone arm is not going back and forwards. i know about the grease so i will have to clean it out, can anyone tell me what kind of Steuerpimpel this unit uses as i am not familiar with this i have just found out about the Steuerpimpel tab thanks Ian :D

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 25 Feb 2016 10:29

Normally you can very carefully rebuild the Steuerpimpel on older models which do not use the type I am producing; there are threads on this forum which describe it. Look for posts by Hugues , that might be easiest.
My own service guide also describes some options. Basically you'd be removing it, building the thickness by about 1mm, then buffing it down to a gentle dome of maybe .5 to .75 mm doing trial by error method.

dahoo
China

Post by dahoo » 25 Feb 2016 18:18

hi folks,
i bought a steuerpimpel from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/131724148063 but after i installed it, the arm turned but not far enough to reach the record, it seemed it is stuck somewhere i am sure the pimpel was having enough friction with the surface of the black plastic underneath because i can even hear the rubbing sound but the arm just wouldn't any further.
is there any other thing that might be the issue?
thanks for any insight.

dahoo
China

Post by dahoo » 25 Feb 2016 18:29

i also took a video of the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTuxuSO15Y

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 27 Feb 2016 04:08

I get positive reports from DIYers who have ordered this PDF. There's not just one single answer for this issue but it has to do with performing a good servicing and slight adjustments in some cases. This PDF manual comes with the Steuerpimpels I provide but is also available separately if you end up with another type. You can get this with or without the Alvania. -- mrow2

ebay search "Dual Turntable Service Manual 1960s-'80s, 7.5ml Alvania Lubricant Included"

-or-

"Dual Turntable Service Manual '60s-'80s; Steuerpimpel , S/M Ring, Lube Available"

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 12 Mar 2016 03:33

mrow2 wrote:Normally you can very carefully rebuild the Steuerpimpel on older models which do not use the type I am producing; there are threads on this forum which describe it. Look for posts by Hugues , that might be easiest.
My own service guide also describes some options. Basically you'd be removing it, building the thickness by about 1mm, then buffing it down to a gentle dome of maybe .5 to .75 mm doing trial by error method.
I'm beta testing another alternative to repairing the flat pancake-head steuerpimpels. Tonight I glued a hole-punch piece of a plastic card onto the remnant of the stock pimpel. I used my AutoZone rewards card as the donor card, as shown in the pic, and punched it with a hand-held single-hole punch to create my plug. I glued it on top of the old pimpel bit with E6000 glue. This is good glue for audio usage since it is clear and flexible. Many superglues have brittle adhesions that can break with vibration, but this glue is flexible and can tolerate vibration. I may try to shape, or at least round-off the edges, of the dot after the glue cures...or I may not. I'll report back on the results spater, or later, for you gringos out there.

BTW, this is for a 1215-S which has needed a LOT of work.
Attachments
IMAG0114.jpg
(180.32 KiB) Downloaded 1505 times
IMAG0115.jpg
(341.18 KiB) Downloaded 1502 times

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 16 Mar 2016 03:22

For the 10xx series along with models through 1216 (mushroom pimples) I am thinking that card material might be too stiff, unforgiving and inflexible, and maybe too thick once glued but hopefully it will be an answer, I hope it works perfectly. I personally might go with a nylon type of material (very thin) and try shaping that a bit, if not building up the dome as per Hugues' method. The final pad surface needs to be very thin, someone wrote (I forgot who) that it might be as little as .5 to .75mm or 1mm at most by the time the adjusting was complete. That may largely be the challenge, to get the dome perfect yet not too thick. Doesn't take much but it does need to be smooth and uniform, and remain that way.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 16 Mar 2016 13:49

I still don't know if it will work yet since I have other issues with this 1215S. I think I'm going to have to remove the main cam and check the switch lever and shut-off lever. I have another post here about the start/stop switch not working properly.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 25 Mar 2016 16:37

A lot of these issues are related to arm 175 and especially shaft 180 (in the 1215 manual), this is where I'd be devoting my efforts first. The shaft needs to come out and be properly cleaned.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 25 Mar 2016 16:59

mrow2 wrote:A lot of these issues are related to arm 175 and especially shaft 180 (in the 1215 manual), this is where I'd be devoting my efforts first. The shaft needs to come out and be properly cleaned.
Thanks, Don, I will focus on that. I tried to get shaft 180 out earlier, but it was being very stubborn. But I think if I take off the topside nut, I can then poke it through. I was trying to pull it out from the bottom without any luck.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 25 Mar 2016 18:24

Hi,
Nut 28 is only a counter nut. Shaft 180 is still threaded into the chassis once 28 is removed. Place some alcohol onto/into the main switch lever 175 / 180 junction to soften up the gunk first.
Regards,
k

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 28 Mar 2016 15:08

Thanks, I have posted back in my original thread regarding this problem. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=85304&p=708647#p708647

I didn't want to hijack this steuerpimpel thread for my switch lever issues.

old2new

Post by old2new » 29 Mar 2016 16:18

Hi,

I would like to purchase some Dual steuerpimpels from Don. Please tell me the proper way to contact him and send payment. I have made many of my own over the years but they just don't seem to hold up.

Regards,
Joe