Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun
DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Post by DSJR » 18 Nov 2018 17:28

For parts, mrow2 (Don) here can supply pimpel and grease, plus a service sheet - as he's posted above ;)

If you don't feel you want to tackle this yourself, I'm not sure, but if you got the parts, maybe an experienced tech might take it on as long as they're dedicated and careful and don't just ladle the grease on with a trowel just to take your money...

You know, this site is a mine of information and sometimes it can niggle when 'we' give all this experience and knowledge out for nothing, so a service engineer can read it all free of charge and then charge an end user no end of money for actually doing the work. Such is modern internet life I suppose. A 621 shouldn't be at all difficult to work on as much of it is directly below the platter (main cam especially), there's not a huge amount underneath (main lever, pimpel access and a small amount of linkages) and the service manual is here in the library. have a look and see what you can do for yourself - and take a good look in the Dualcan website as well for extremely detailed info with hundreds of pics of assorted models in various states of strip-down - possibly best not to immediately as other older Duals are FAR more complex under the skin, although the basic principles are the same.

gramoman

Post by gramoman » 27 Nov 2018 12:26

Please help me!I have DUAL 621,problem is Steuerpimpel.What Im doing?

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 31 Jan 2019 19:22

Hi,
For replacement pimple for your 621, item 168, part 223 777, contact Oliver:
https://schall-und-crema.webnode.com/dual-ersatzteile/
Regards,
k

Boytoto

Post by Boytoto » 10 Mar 2019 06:33

I have almost the same issues with a Dual 1214. In my situation, everything seems normal for the first record. But for the second and subsequent records, the tone arm falls short of the record edge. Seems it requires more force to overcome the on/off switch and at this point, the steuerpimple slips through the motion.

doctor fuse

Post by doctor fuse » 10 Mar 2019 07:37

Turns out my 1009 doesn't even have a steuerpimpel. There is a brass knob that looks like it should have the rubber bumper on it. But apparently it doesn't.

Duals are so frustrating. Mine lies unused in a corner.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 10 Mar 2019 07:43

Boytoto wrote:
10 Mar 2019 06:33
I have almost the same issues with a Dual 1214. In my situation, everything seems normal for the first record. But for the second and subsequent records, the tone arm falls short of the record edge. Seems it requires more force to overcome the on/off switch and at this point, the steuerpimple slips through the motion.
The power switch is already "on" if the start lever is activated, so any cycling thereafter should not be influenced by the switch assembly and its linkage.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 10 Mar 2019 09:05

The pimpel is different for these decks and is more like a white plastic slightly domed-top plug-in 'stud.' My 1214 rebuild had a bad-un, but simply removing it, reforming it somehow in my fingers (I know not how as it was a few years ago) and re-inserting it, together with cleaning and a fresh smear of Alvania on the main lever paddle as part of the rebuild, and all's well again, the arm working perfectly to this day.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 04 Oct 2019 12:10

Suddenly auto return gave up on the 601. Apparently the yellow replacement pimpel wasn't up to the job any more after almost a year. It was one of those yellow dome shaped ones. I bought it from a German seller.
But after putting some tiny wood piece from a tooth pick in the hole of the pimpel I got it sitting approximately 1mm higher on the spring loaded pin. This seems to have done the trick to get a bit more friction to the main lever paddle. Have played a couple of albums now and tonearm return works every time.

Just shows how delicate this function is on these old girls :-).
IMG_20181211_193921.jpg
(206.46 KiB) Downloaded 33 times