Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun
Noonen

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Post by Noonen » 01 Jan 2018 04:07

just joined the forum - was able to quickly diagnose my steuerpimpel issue and being mildly impatient was able to make a new one using hot glue! (a glue-erpimpel)

The steps were pretty straight forward:

1. Remove player from the case (I am fabricating a custom holder to fit inside an old tube amp Decca Allegheny II so I won't be using this again)
2. Flip over player to access the linkages - remove the c-clip holding on the black lever above the steuerpimpel (I used a dental pick.)
3. Clean the lever thoroughly, as well as any junk remaining on the steuerpimpel mount.

keep your pick handy - you will need it for the next step:

4. Extrude a dollop of hot glue onto the steuerpimpel mount! While blowing on it(you could probably use a fan) mind it's flow so it stays where you want it. If you get too much glue on there, or nervous, you can always pinch the glue and remove it quickly with your fingers.
5. Remove the newly created hardened 'glue-erpimpel' and using the implement of your choice (I used a sharp pocketknife) shape it to work. You may have to test fit several times.
6. Final Assemble and test - iterate if needed.

Mine works like a breeze now! Ready for the custom mount plate for the Decca Allegheny II!

Electone

Post by Electone » 05 Mar 2018 20:25

I've been using the sheathing of standard 14 gauge copper wiring. Cut off a piece of wire a few millimeters long, poke out all the copper wiring from the inside, insert on the steuerpimpel mount and trim any excess. Done.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Mar 2018 22:00

All those "home brew" ideas of replacing that steuerpimpel are Sacrilegious messes that do not do justice to the fine German engineering that was built into them.
And I don't care if they work, it's slop.

doctor fuse

Post by doctor fuse » 14 Mar 2018 05:48

The rubber bumper - er, excuse me, "steuerpimpel"* - was missing on my 1009 SK2, so today I used a tiny piece of cylindrical Lego® as a substitute for it, with a dash of white glue. Slop be damned! :D

Steal it from your kid at your own risk!

*Dual calls it a "rubber bumper" in their service manuals; I suspect aftermarket Dual techs started calling it "steuerpimpel" here in North America to make it sound less self-explanatory and more Teutonic! :lol:

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 14 Mar 2018 17:16

The 'pimpel' on older Duals with 10" platters is different from the thing 'we' always go on about. Loads of threads here discussing it and someone found a kind of replacement which may fit.

I still suggest Mrow2 and Dualfred as main sources of parts and of course, organdonorparts have many used parts, of which an original white 'pimpel' may be one of them, although you may need to buy the entire 'segment' it's fitted to...

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 23 Mar 2018 00:05

Hi,
Just a reminder,
Dual units from the 1007 till the 1216 use the white mushroom pimple (part 200 527) which goes by more names than the changers that use the item....
The subsequent 1218 and up utilize two pimples because of the new cue lift system. The 1218/19 and early 1229 have both upper and lower pimples part number 216 888 which is a black rubber item.
From the 1229 later edition and from then onwards, the lower pimple was changed back to a hardier vinyl, akin to the earlier mushroom type for the same reason. The friction and wear on the bottom is greater than on top. This newer lower pimple (part nr. 223 777) is a translucent whitish colour originally, but not always. It was however never black. Dress the main lever with a few strokes of 80 grit paper on the pimple contact surface, perpendicular to the pimple motion.
The upper pimple on the other hand continues to use the rubber pimple which is ideal for that spot. The reason for this is when the arm is (cue) lifted, the anti-skate force exerts an outwards (toward the rest-post) force, while being lifted. The rubber counteracts this force by holding the arm in place and preventing sideways drift during the cueing action. It is advisable from time to time to clean the area under the (arm) shelf where this upper pimple contacts in order to hold the arm better during cueing. You will notice on later arm that this area has crosshatch design to improve this holding. You can also improve this if the arm drifts to the right, by sanding that shelf perpendicular to the arm movement with a few strokes of 80 grit or so paper as well. This will make fine ruts into the underside which gives the pimple better grip again.
Regards,
k

doctor fuse

Post by doctor fuse » 23 Mar 2018 00:15

Pretty much anything can be used for a rubber bumper replacement - er, excuse me, "steuerpimpel"...
I tried the end of a ball point pen and a dab of white glue, but what worked best was a piece of Lego! Next time I am going to use the vinyl sheathing of speaker wire. Am guesstimating 14 AWG would work

MCoxe

Post by MCoxe » 05 May 2018 14:52

I need a steuerpimpel for a Dual CS620Q. Any suggestions?

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 05 May 2018 19:21

Hi,
The 620Q has two pimples, the top, item 85 (237 660) and the lower one, item 61 (223 777). This is a vinyl variant and can be obtained from dualfred:
http://www.dualfred.de/advanced_search_ ... c_subcat=0&=
Last item on that page.
The top one usually does not wear out, but should be cleaned/checked.
Regards,
k

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 24 Jul 2018 11:54

Hi all!
Does my 1225 have one or two steuerpimpels? Have located one and fixed it so auto movement works fine. But I'm not sure if there's another one that needs a checkup/fix too. Cannot figure it out from the service manual either.
Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 03 Aug 2018 19:34

Many models have one under the flat plate on the tonearm near the gimbal bearings. Normally it would not need to be changed, unless it is coming apart. It would (normally) not wear out, as Klaus mentions. It serves as a height stop and buffer as the tonearm goes through its horizontal and vertical movements, and helps keep the movements quiet.

pinenut

Post by pinenut » 01 Oct 2018 15:32

Hey folks, just picked up a 1245 model to play with and wondering if replacement of the steuerpimpel is an easy job on this model. Are there any links specific to it (or a similar model) that may help?
Turntable is in good cosmetic shape but tonearm movement is eratic and inconsistent.

Thanks.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 27 Oct 2018 18:15

Hi Look for the service manual in the VE library and service guides in the forum. I have a nice general service guide which covers a lot of models + cosmetics; also have steuerpimpel and Alvania for it if you need those. Steuerpimpel change is straightforward; cleaning and lubrication must be done with care and less invasive is better. -- Don

jnh

Post by jnh » 03 Nov 2018 08:52

Hola dualcan!!, Si trabajé en Bettor Dual 24 años.

iyaayas1975
United States of America

Post by iyaayas1975 » 07 Nov 2018 04:21

help please. I have a Dual 621 that is in need of a overhaul and a Steuerpimpel. Anyone aware of a location near Raleigh, NC to obtain the service and part? I have been researching automatic turntables in the $300.00 range to use with my current component system, any suggestions. Current system is amp, preamp, tuner, equalizer, cd player.