Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun
gtekie

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Post by gtekie » 17 Jan 2017 11:17

I have to ask, is the 1249 a particularly "finicky" model ? After replacing the pimpel, the unit cycles ok but alas no horizontal movement of the tonearm. There's no doubt in my mind that the unit needs to be properly serviced by someone who knows what he/she is doing. I'm trying to find such a person in the Greater Toronto Area (I don't trust they way couriers handle packages) so I want to do my own P & D. Do any of the Dual "aficionados" here know of such a person ? Thanks in advance; hoping for a reply.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Jan 2017 11:43

Hi:

You may want to check out this thread on 1249 issues.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=91825

I found it was important to adjust the lift barrel which is located at the front part of the gimbal as per the instructions in the service manual. It can be a bit tricky but it is critical.

There used to be a service place in TO called All in One Electronics, but they closed a few years ago.

There is a guy in London who goes by the name Dual Doctor but I don't know if anyone here has had him do any work for them or not. He has a website.

gtekie

Post by gtekie » 17 Jan 2017 18:11

I notice the new pimpel doesn't come in contact with the main lever when cycling. Is this normal ? Is there more than one size of pimpel ?

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 17 Jan 2017 21:10

Hi,
Are you using the original pimple?
Most of the pimples I have seen, are OK as far contacting the main lever.
If you are not in too much of a hurry, I usually go to Toronto several times a year because of my sons and occasionally do pick up from GTA.
Throw me a PM for particulars, should that suit you.
Regards,
k

jnh

SILICONA CONJUNTO DE PARO TOCADISCOS Dual

Post by jnh » 09 Feb 2017 13:01

Hola buenos días.

Alguien me podría decir que tipo de silicona aplicaba Dual en el conjunto de paro.

Gracias.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 09 Feb 2017 20:56

Hi,
It is nice to converse with another Dual Tech! Did you work with Bettor?
I am not sure which position you are referring to for the silicon oil.
Perhaps if you mention a Dual model and the part (item number) then it will be clearer.

and the google-ater says:

Hola,
¡Es bueno conversar con otra tecnología Dual! ¿Trabajaste con Bettor?
No estoy seguro de a qué posición se está refiriendo para el aceite de silicio.
Tal vez si menciona un modelo Dual y la parte (número de artículo), entonces será más claro.
Saludos,
k

dahoo
China

Post by dahoo » 17 Feb 2017 22:24

i replaced Steuerpimpel on my 1249 but the arm wouldn't turn even though the pimpel rubbed the main lever. if i push the pole where the steuerpimpel is installed, the arm can turn.
stop/return works but not returning all the way to the arm rest but in the middle of a record.
https://youtu.be/1GTuxuSO15Y
https://youtu.be/TeTmAOrECHg

First video was taken a year ago when the steuerpimpel was installed, when started, the arm moved only a little bit inwards, but now, the arm only lifted up and then down.
The steuerpimpel doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the lever so i stuffed it with some paper and put it on the pole, now it rubs the lever but can't move the arm.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 26 Mar 2017 20:36

1249 models seem the most finicky of various vintage Duals re steuerpimpel operation. One time I made weird custom pimpels for a fussy 1249 (never again), with only partial success. But gradually over time, with dozens of successful steuerpimpel orders sent to 1249 owners, I concluded that it is some other resistance within the system, when a tonearm does not travel properly. Naturally, the pimpel must contact the main lever paddle, and the pimpel must be flat and even on the lever. Too much alvania on the paddle might not allow enough friction, so that is one thing that can be adjusted. Soak up the excess. Height adjustment is possibly more subject to deviation than on other models, don't know. But 1249 uses the same pimpel as other similar models, and generally the success rate is very high, with no need to try to elongate it or stick anything in the orifice to increase pad thickness and in fact I suspect that is the wrong way to proceed with it.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 27 Mar 2017 03:46

Hi,
The 1249 uses pimple 223 777 which is the general pimple used on many units. This changer should pose no real problem for the transport and Don's pimple should function ok on it. The finicky unit for pimples is the 601 which needs close tolerances on the pimple. I just finished a 721 and that has several adjustment for its pimple and is also critical. In my work line-up, I have a 1249 coming up soon. If you could be patient a bit, I will have a detailed look and share any concerns for this unit regarding arm movements.
Regards,
k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 27 Mar 2017 13:17

dualcan wrote:Hi,
The 1249 uses pimple 223 777 which is the general pimple used on many units. This changer should pose no real problem for the transport and Don's pimple should function ok on it. The finicky unit for pimples is the 601 which needs close tolerances on the pimple. I just finished a 721 and that has several adjustment for its pimple and is also critical. In my work line-up, I have a 1249 coming up soon. If you could be patient a bit, I will have a detailed look and share any concerns for this unit regarding arm movements.
Regards,
k
I will patiently look forward to hearing your findings.

My 1249 has been working flawlessly since we got the bugs worked out from the "shipping wars" it went through in getting to me.

Purana Pandit

Post by Purana Pandit » 06 May 2017 07:50

Hi all
My arm on 1225 returns back to it's position at end of vinyl...But it does not go and sit on it's proper position in the arm rest..So when the machine stops it falls down next to arm rest and chances of damaging the stylus are there....Any suggestions?

rbruce63

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel for Dual 1010A

Post by rbruce63 » 15 Aug 2017 04:51

Hi Chaps. I sourced a Steuerpimpel from a German vendor on eBay.

Since the automatic positioning of the arm at the beginning and at the end of the record has been erratic at best, the arm went to the desired position at the beginning of the record, but then it retreated beyond the beginning of the record, so I had to guide the arm again back to the record's beginning manually.

At the end of the record, the arm raised and returned to the arm rest, but then the tonearm didn't go to rest to the peg in the arm rest. It jumped back beyond the peg almost falling from the arm rest.

Therefore, I decided to replace the Steuerpimpel as advised by the different videos on YouTube and did buy one identified for the Dual 1010A.

However, after replacing the pimple the results were tragic: The added friction has made the arm at start to drag all the way to the end of the record unless I hold it by hand. The additional friction makes the platter to stop from running. So I have to help the platter by hand to prevent the motor drive to overheat. If I let the arm move freely without holding it, then the arm goes all the way to the end of the record and then back to the arm rest.

At the end of the record the arm raises correctly and returns to the peg at the arm rest, however, when the arm has to go down, the drag it so much that it stops the platter from turning. When I help it by hand, the arm tries to return to the beginning of the record. Unless I return the arm back to the peg at the arm rest the motor stops finally!

The original 50 years plus of age Steuerpimpel was clear in color and was rounded in form and resin like, however, the new one is rubber and straight in form like a nail's head.

Should I go about and file the new pimpel to resemble the original 52 years of age clear resin one?

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 15 Aug 2017 15:08

Hi,
The original pimple (200 527) from 1007 to 1216 was always white vinyl-never clear:
200 527.JPG
(365.46 KiB) Downloaded 1287 times
200 527b.JPG
(461.51 KiB) Downloaded 1284 times
The measurements can be found in these two pics.
Regards,
k

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 15 Aug 2017 23:35

dualcan wrote:Hi,
Regards,
k
I have two of the Dual 601's. My 2 biggest problems have been poor performance of the cuing cylinder's ability to slowly lower the tonearm to record. Even using 500000 silicone oil in cylinder is no guarantee that tonearm will lower slow enough to protect higher-end cartridge stylus. The other problem is the on/off pop noise in the speakers due to failure of original capacitor. A 3rd item commonly irritating from time to time is the poor contact surfaces built into the Dual cartridge sled. Can you hear the hum? Good thing I don't own an old Triumph sports car. If I were young and did not have any Dual turntables, it would be Technics turntables in my house. I do have a Technics SL-D1 direct drive, and it also has the cuing arm. I bought it used and have had zero problems with speed control, cuing problems, no hum due to bad cartridge to RCA's connections, well, you get where I'm coming from. German engineering, to love and to hate until death due us part.

champco

Post by champco » 10 Sep 2017 04:20

fixmydual.com
call Bill and talk.
bill@fixmydual.com
I am a new advocate