Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun
Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Post by Big B5515 » 12 Oct 2016 06:51

I did try adjusting height stop to correct issue, however today, I noticed there was no clearance, if stylus tip height from control lever is 2-3mm as specified, and limit adjustment just below top of tonearm rest (slightly higher than when i found it. I did also notice if cuing adjustment is too high, tonearm cannot be advanced past edge of record till lowered. I lowered the adjustment sleeve till I had slight clearance, but now stylus tip lands on control lever when lowered. There is also slightly less clearance near rest than at end of record.

There was wear and roughness on plastic main lever from past operation without pimpel, so I have ordered a better looking replacement lever. Hopefully, when this and another pimpel arrive, all will now be well.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 13 Oct 2016 17:49

DSJR's advice is right, be certain there is not so much stress on the new pimpel (when it arrives) that it is compressed against the new main lever. Don't use it with the old main lever. A main lever normally would not wear out.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Oct 2016 01:28

Any suggestion on what the rear height limit adjustment on tonearm should be set at(deck to top of headshell, model 1225), or minimum clearance height if a record is placed on stacker spindle measured from deck below front of headshell near controls? I don't currently have stacker spindle, but would like to set it properly should new owner later want one. Replacement main lever arrived today, light wear, but no path worn in paddle, feels & looks much smoother.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 16 Oct 2016 20:54

This may irritate some or anger others, but if the deck is used as a single player, then don't be frightened of increasing the tonearm maximum height a touch by the limiter screw behind the vertical bearings. As long as the headshell can be returned against the rest (and not propelled behind it - and back - as Garrards do...) and the arm can drop below a single record surface (some Duals are set using the height above the control 'flippers' the stylus falls), you should get away with it. My own 701 has a Notts Analogue Spacemat on top of the stock mat (I like the improvement I hear) and I had to *slightly* adjust the height-restricting adjustment on the tonearm to allow the lifting height to be increased by a couple of mm. Be sensible and respectful to the original design engineers obviously, and of course with fully auto-change decks, the arm mustn't scrape the underside of the lowest record in the stack as it sweeps back.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 09 Nov 2016 07:34

After first going MIA in the mail, I finally recieved a replacement steuerpimpel from mrow2 today, and now have the Dual 1225 working properly with it. The old main lever felt rough compared to the replacement, and appears to have some scratches, or cracking on friction surface. As tips of crosshatch pattern on old lever are smaller and rounded, it may have been filed on in the past to roughen. With the rear tonearm height limit adjustment set to put almost no pressure on lift pin, it worked just as it should on the first try. The tonearm now raises about 1\8" above step on rest, but still stops against hold down latch. This was the best adjustment I could obtain while still keeping the lowered Empire stylus tip slightly above start lever, and minimal pressure on lift pin spring. The English manuals did not specify the height limit screw's actual recommended setting. A picture showing the 2 main levers, the second one with metal pin is the new (used) replacement part.
IMG_1805.JPG
(170.91 KiB) Downloaded 1480 times

Geodude5

Post by Geodude5 » 20 Nov 2016 20:02

Hello, I have a 701 in need of a new steuerpimpel..just wondering are they one size fit all Dual models? Just want to verify before I order from mrow2.
Thanks,
Richard

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 24 Nov 2016 17:30

For Richard: 701 uses my standard steuerpimpel. It needs to be precise, since there is very little stress on it and movement occurs with very little contact.

Edited photo for Big B, a bit easier to see the damage on original main lever.
Maybe Klaus or someone could suggest another way to optimize arm height, I don't have a 1225 right now to examine.
Dual 1225 scratched lever-retouch b.jpg
(184.36 KiB) Downloaded 1455 times

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 27 Nov 2016 02:38

I already delivered the 1225 to it's new owner. She was very happy with it, and does not plan to use a changer spindle, so it should be fine adjusted as is.

calgarysaurus

Post by calgarysaurus » 06 Jan 2017 20:30

I finally successfully dealt with the arm return issue on my Dual 1246. It has the plastic main lever that is pressed against the steuerpimple to move the arm. After replacing the pimple which was indeed crumbling, I was still left with the problem. It was a 2 part solution.

The first part was tightening the spindle that the bearing that holds the main lever swivels on. This spindle was loose enough that the main lever had quite a bit of horizontal slackness that prevented it from having consistent contact with the pimple.

The final fix was to experiment with greasing the main lever paddle. It turns out that to get the arm return to fully work was just to have applied a bit of grease and then to wipe it off, leaving just a trace of lubrication. Maybe none at all would be even better. I don't know but at least it all works now.

Hopefully this helps others.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 07 Jan 2017 05:45

Working on a 1209 and would appreciate some input on the steuerpimpel and main lever. The speed selector mechanism was frozen solid but is working great after a clean and lube. After that was good to go, I was able to test the table and it is working pretty well. The start/stop cycles work with the only hitch being that on the initial start the tonearm is placing the stylus outside of the album.

Just wondering if the steuerpimpel should be built up a bit and the main lever provided with the sandpaper treatment as previously discussed. The first picture is the steuerpimpel and lever after I took the grease off of it, the 2nd the lever right after pulling it off.

After seeing how solid/stuck the speed selector mechanism was I have a much great appreciation for the binding power of old grease. With the help of Don's guide that I got today, I will be giving this one a complete overhaul.
IMG_20170106_234711_184crop.jpg
(455.11 KiB) Downloaded 1359 times
IMG_20170106_234339_013crop.jpg
(396.16 KiB) Downloaded 1356 times

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 07 Jan 2017 17:07

Looks to me like that mushroom steuerpimpel still has a bit of life in it but the
suggestions in the guide may help with making it work better. I Don't sand the main lever too coarsely, will tear down what's left of the steuerpimpel.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 07 Jan 2017 19:03

Thanks. Would a light sanding be a good maintenance move. Per Klaus info posted elsewhere regarding direction and light lubing after. Or best to leave well enough alone unless there is an obvious problem.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 07 Jan 2017 20:36

I would closely follow Klaus' instructions: he really knows what he's talking about!
He's helped me a lot while restoring both my 1019 and 1219.
They both work flawlessly now (all my thanks to him!)
You can't overdo this sanding anyway...

Cheers,

Hugh.

gtekie

Post by gtekie » 13 Jan 2017 18:38

Hi dual People
Is there supposed to be a second steuerpimpel under the control lever ? I have a 1249 and it appears there is a "stud" for one but that one is missing. Thanks for any advice.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 13 Jan 2017 19:06

Hi,
The 1249 has two pimples, one on top, item 46 guide # 216 844, made of rubber,
and the lower pimple item 224 guide # 223 777, made of vinyl.
Check the service manual in the library above for location of these pimples.
Regards,
k