Dual 606 setup/help/fine tuning

twice the fun
julianface

Dual 606 setup/help/fine tuning

Post by julianface » 11 Jun 2010 03:31

Hello I picked up a 606 at a thrift store with its original cartridge and what i believe to be the original stylus. I also found a beautiful old stereo to go with it. I have ordered a new stylus and it is on its way, however I would like to know if that will solve some issues I have. I have balanced the tonearm(0 tracking and anti skating force, lowers ever so slightly), set the pitch approximately right, hooked it up to my stereo (phono inputs), and hooked up to some mediocre speakers (using a headphone jack :/). I have set the tracking force and anti-skating to about 1.7 grams (manual suggests 1.25-1.75). My problem is that I have to crank the volume to hear some really choppy, muffled, and crackly sound. O and that is only when the stylus isnt skipping over the grooves. I did get it to play semi-loudly and semi-listenable at one point by messing with the tonearm weight and tracking force and anti-skating settings, but that didn't last long.

Do you think this will be fixed with a new stylus?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Jun 2010 04:02

A new stylus will probably do it. That sounds too far off sound to be a minor adjustment.

Cheers,
Alec

julianface

Post by julianface » 11 Jun 2010 05:29

Greeetings from Toronto!

The worst part is waiting for my new stylus to see if it will work! I just feel the need to tinker with it and abuse the old cartridge in a futile attempt to fix the problem.

So you are confident the new stylus will fix the tracking problem? I'm pretty sure it will fix the amplification and sound but its just this tracking problem I am worried about

thanks for the help

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Jun 2010 06:10

Take a look at the one you have with the strongest magnification you can find. I bet it is not sharp and clean and pointy.

Cheers,
Alec
Actually, just north of the city.

julianface

Post by julianface » 11 Jun 2010 06:13

Yep it sure is in pretty rough shape, I guess all I can do now is wait for my new needle.

Thanks for the reassurance!

chilli1327

Re: Dual 606 setup/help/fine tuning

Post by chilli1327 » 24 May 2019 21:09

I have a question, hopefully someone can answer...How do I adjust the pitch for the cartridge for this TT? It is the ULM-55E? I am not sure what the actual model is, but it is the OEM that came with the Dual CS-606 turntable. I tried loosening the screw on top, but it just doesn't allow you to pivot the cartridge left or right!! I am confused. The pitch is slightly off and visually you can see this.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 25 May 2019 17:58

That stylus can be cleaned, provided it is intact. The elastomer could be out of sorts but that is rare. Under a microscope you can use a tiny artist brush and some isopropyl to clean it. I have a section on this in my guide. One of the photos:
It initially was covered with a hardened sandstone-like gunk. After some aggressive cleaning and even using a clean razor blade on it under the microscope to scrape the sandstone material off. The elastomer is the round black foam thing to the left. They look different on the various brands. This one is an Audio Technica, obviously.
Dirty stylus bb.jpg
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
This material was from using the gooey record cleaning agents over the years (record shop sold the lady on this method, and she cleaned her records diligently). It may not even be the problem, but I've seen this happen.
Attachments
Dirty stylus aa.jpg
(17.27 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

chilli1327

Post by chilli1327 » 26 May 2019 19:58

In my previous post I said pitch...I meant angular tracking. Can't seem to adjust the angular tracking with this turntable and OEM stylus, or am I missing something?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 26 May 2019 22:37

Without seeing it, hard for me to say but sometimes we can make a small pad of thin wire insulation or even a few layers of paper or thin package cardboard to place strategically in order to make a cartridge sit horizontally level or for best VTA. Sounds like the headshell (part attached to tonearm) might be slightly tilted; it might be adjustable -- it is on the older units but I cannot recall on ULM models. I think I see the screw which taps into the tonearm underside and that is what would be used to level the headshell, if it is causing the trouble.