Dual CS 607 needs new cartridge

twice the fun
elborbah

Dual CS 607 needs new cartridge

Post by elborbah » 18 Mar 2009 18:22

Hi there,
My old Dual cs 607 needs a new cartridge. Looks like I need to find an old proprietary cartridge from an old rig, as newer cartridges won't fit the Dual only style that's on there.
Anyone help?
Cheers!
Mike

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 19 Mar 2009 05:57

Mrstylus over here still offers the ULM-TKS carts you need for your ULM arm with second generation proprietary ULM mount: http://www.mrstylus.de/de/systeme/Dual_TKS45-55E.html

But as you're in Canada, I'd suggest to contact All-In-One Electronics first and ask whether they still have any that would fit (e.g. TKS52E or TKS55E).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

elborbah

Post by elborbah » 20 Mar 2009 07:39

Hi Manfred,
Thanks for the help, that's exactly what I will do.
Are you familiar with this site.... http://www.dual-reference.com/
I contacted Alan at that site, and he said there is an adapter as well for that proprietary head.
Danke für Ihre Hilfe, Manfred!
Mike

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Mar 2009 12:32

All-In-One Electronics, Toronto are Dual distributors for North America, and have an extensive stock of parts.
http://www.all-electronics.com/index.html

Cheers,
Alec

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 20 Mar 2009 15:50

Mike: Problem is that these adaptor kits are very rare and also rather expensive nowadays. In addition, to my knowlegde, the 607 was available in two versions with standard or anti-resonator counterweight - and there were different adaptor kits (with different add-on weights for the counterweight to balance heavier carts) for these two versions. And, last but not least, for my taste the visual appearance of the adaptor solution on the headshell is anything but great (here are some pics from the Dual-Board over here, so you can judge for yourself: http://www.dual-board.de/index.php?page ... post192860).

So, in general, I'd rather suggest to stick with the original ULM-TKS carts on these tables. But it also depends on what you might plan for the future: If you already play with the thought of upgrading the cart with a better needle later on, you'd better pursue the adaptor solution nevertheless, 'cause there practically isn't a needle upgrade path for the original carts anymore. Then I'd rather suggest to go looking for the adaptor kit that's optimal for your counterweight type (standard: 269 611 anti-resonator: 266 048) and mount something like an Ortofon OMB20 or an Audio Technica AT120E for a good start.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Oh, und keine Ursache - you're welcome. ;)

elborbah

Post by elborbah » 20 Mar 2009 20:21

Hi there,
I agree with you. If at all possible, I'll stick with the original cart and stylus for both appearances, as well as ease of installation.
It is the version with the anti-resonator by the way.
Well both adaptor, and stylus/cartridge options are unavailable at All in One electronics as he has been unable to import them for over a year now.
Will keep hunting. I'm seeing cost for shipping etc. from Mr. Stylus as suggested.
Still hoping there's one available closer to home!
Thanks for the leads!
Mike

faceless55

Re: Dual CS 607 needs new cartridge

Post by faceless55 » 16 May 2019 17:54

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping I can get some help maybe point me in the right direction I have a Dual CS 607 with the ULM and anti resonator counter weight I bought at Goodwill for $25 it was missing the counter weight I found 1 one Ebay for $25 now the cartridge it came with Is an AT15xe nice cartridge but not for that turntable so now the hunt is on any recommendation on the right cartridge would be helpful the original cartridge is a TKS 55E is there anything else that will work
Thanks in advance

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Dual CS 607 needs new cartridge

Post by DSJR » 17 May 2019 10:04

The AT would have been a good choice back then if you have the half inch adaptor for the arm. You'd need an AT VM530 or better, VM540 or 750 for a modern equivalent. Jico may make a decent replacement stylus (can't remember if yours is a Shibata stylus or not). Cheaper ortofon OM types are a bit scrappy in tone, so if you can fit a conventional cartridge, cheapest could be an AT VM95-EN