salvage 1229 tone arm movement problems

twice the fun
mikepukmel
Aruba

salvage 1229 tone arm movement problems

Post by mikepukmel » 08 Dec 2019 02:02

Hi All,
I have a 1229, in rough shape, that I salvaged from the garbage. A previous owner assembled the speed control mechanism incorrectly, I managed to get that apart, cleaned and working (the speed control was locked in one spot).
I found a replacement Steuerpimpel, and rubber ring on the multi/single adjuster, replaced those, and did some more cleaning.
When I switch the unit on, the platter spins, the tone arm raises but only if its in multi select position. No matter what position, the tone arm will not move. If I move the tonearm to the record by hand, it feels like it is binding too much. The tone arm also will not move back to rest position when the record finishes.
I found two manuals, but get lost in some instructions. (and I reached the download limit, so there may be more documents that I can not get today). I *think* that there is an adjustment to fix the tone arm binding, from a phillips screw, but I can't find the screw. Does anyone know of location of a photograph that shows where this adjustment is located?
The next thing to tackle will be the queueing lift, which only works in multi adjustment mode, it doesn't lift the tone arm in single mode.
Thanks!
Mike

BoblK

Re: salvage 1229 tone arm movement problems

Post by BoblK » 08 Dec 2019 02:49

Photos of the underside may help diagnose the problem. Also the tone arm gimbal area,

mikepukmel
Aruba

Post by mikepukmel » 08 Dec 2019 03:05

Thanks Bob, I'll get the camera out and post some photos.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 09 Dec 2019 15:22

Hi Mike,
Have you checked the positioning sleeve #200. Start adjusting with the thread fully tightened. The arm should move freely, not being impeded by the rubbing of the #198 guide (upper steuerpimpel).
Check the tonearm height as per Fig.15 and 17, everything is inter connected and dependant.
I've always seen this adjustment as a PITA, but when set correctly, it solves the issue.
Hope this helps a little…
Cheers,

Hugh