621 new mat

twice the fun
Timfromfmass
United States of America

621 new mat

Post by Timfromfmass » 30 Nov 2019 17:40

So my platter is pretty darn level at all points. But it would appear the original rubber mat is not so much anymore. I would like to replace it with cork, has anyone used any particular mats that they can recommend?

Solist
Slovenia

Re: 621 new mat

Post by Solist » 03 Dec 2019 16:39

I would not worry too much about what difference different types of cork mats would have on the sound. It would probably so minimal that you would not notice. Different thicknesses might offset the SRA, but again the difference is gonna be minimal. The thickest cork mats I have seen are 5mm, which should be fine.

However you might want to check the platter. Is the top surface level or does it have a dip in the middle? You will probably also have to trim the cork mat a bit, since the 621 appears to have a slightly smaller platter than the "standard" size.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 11 Dec 2019 17:49

Yea so I took the mat off and the platter itself seems to be dead level. That’s what made me turn to the matt.

I’m not anticipating any difference in the sound from different mats. More just looking for the right size and thickness.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 11 Dec 2019 22:25

I've used cork mats (3mm?) on top of the Dual ones (under normal circumstances I'd not peel off the stuck-on originals) and VTA changes aren't usually enough to worry about (just reduce the tracking force by 1/10g to make up for it if it bothers you but it's my experience that many styli are better aligned with the arm pivots slightly 'tail down').

I was never a fan of the raised-patches of the 621 mat I remember, so something flatter and able to support the record over its entire surface may well be better. Without the original stuck-on mat, the platter may 'ring' if tapped, so make sure the replacement sits true and prevents the platter ringing.