Have no Dual any more. Traded it. Feeling regret.

twice the fun
T68
Sweden

Have no Dual any more. Traded it. Feeling regret.

Post by T68 » 27 Nov 2019 16:32

From having two Duals I'm now in possession of ...none!
The 1225 went into Santa's sack last Xmas and ended up at my son's place.
The 601... well long story short: I traded it for a complete but a bit rough Lenco L75.

At that moment I was in a weak place after reading about some amazing modded Lenco decks and traded it in a spur of the moment. Thinking it would be fun embarking on such a project.

And the Dual 601 was mostly sitting in storage after the Garrard Zero took its place in the setup. Lured by it's cool looks and golden buttons mostly I have to admit.

Poor 601 was a bit punished by me for seeming a bit bland and boring. Not shiny like the Garrard and not modifyable like the Lenco. Just trying to do it's job in an efficient German way. Nothing wrong with that. Poor thing. And away it went.

Now I'm really starting to miss it.
Especially since it's starting to dawn on me that it's probably the best sounding deck of the three.

Sigh.

Well, some comfort is that the new owner (friend of mine) is really enjoying the 601. And I believe visitation rights can be arranged.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Have no Dual any more. Traded it. Feeling regret.

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2019 16:42

Oh, T68...You poor guy...Methinks it's time to find space for another Dual in your life...No one ever told me I couldn't own more than one turntable and so, I'm telling you the same thing...If you could have another Dual, are there any specific models you're looking at? :-k Keep in mind that I've bought five Duals in the last few years and I've loved them all... :wink:

The Garrard could be the main for now, the Lenco could be a long-term project and you could get a Dual for a spare or back-up...and switch among the three! :D

Why be depressed about it??? Find another one, have some fun and enjoy the music! =D>

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 27 Nov 2019 17:14

Ah, thanks for those kind and wise words. Of course there should be room for a another Dual (hope my dear wife agrees...).
Regarding which Dual I'm interested in? ... tough question, there are so many nice ones.

A 1019 in a nice Swedish Centrum plinth would be more than welcome.
Or why not a 701? A bit wary of aging electronic wizardry though (this after struggling with an old reciever atm).
Then there are of course the1219/1229:s.

...d**m, sounds like I'm getting a new Dual, doesn't it :mrgreen: ?!

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 27 Nov 2019 17:16

... a 1249, oft overlooked but very capable, reliable, belt drive. :mrgreen:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2019 18:35

I saw that Centrum plinth... :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=106431

You should look at the Swedish auction sites again and see what's out there... :-k

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 27 Nov 2019 20:19

Well there might be some consolation in that encountering another Dual is more likely than another Lenco. Can’t really chastise yourself for taking advantage of an opportunity.

I too have Zero 100 (my favourite Garrard) plus an Elac 10 & 50H, my favourite Miracords. To keep a toe dipped in the sophistication pool, I keep a Pioneer PL-630 and a Thorens TD124.

I’ve had a number of Dual’s and with one exception, liked them all. My total is now two both 1009’s. It would have been nice hanging on to all of them but it was not practical.

I picked my favourite Dual model to own in perpetuity which happens to be the 1009. Not my only tables as mentioned but they probably see the most use.

If you are frequently keeping an eye out for turntables, I think you will admit that Duals are found more frequently than other makes.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 27 Nov 2019 20:29

62vauxhall wrote:
27 Nov 2019 20:19
Well there might be some consolation in that encountering another Dual is more likely than another Lenco. Can’t really chastise yourself for taking advantage of an opportunity.

If you are frequently keeping an eye out for turntables, I think you will admit that Duals are found more frequently than other makes.
So true, particularly in Canada. I think they must have had 50% of the turntable market, around Ottawa anyway.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 27 Nov 2019 22:20

Of all my Duals, I felt the same way about my own 601. NOTHING AT ALL to do with the performance, but one just takes it for granted as it coolly and efficiently extracts music from the records and delivers it to the amplifier phono stage... The 701 in comparison tends to get an emotional response from me, I don't know why, because it's even more soullessly efficient and industrial in its working. It must be appearances! I've put my 601 back into storage and brought the ton-up 1214 with 1216 platter down for Christmas so I can stack my singles (the cartridge in my 1019 is too good for this purpose and I'm too damned lazy to change it, so there!)

Now the Lenco's. GL75's are still being bought and prices are rising, the potentially good (once fettled) tonearms removed and what's left butchered so some third party tonearm can be grafted on. Nobody takes any notice of the often corrosion underside of the deck plate as most of it is carved away in the butchering and as for the hideous plinths some of the remains find themselves in..... I've had a lot to do with GL75's and 78's over the years, love 'em very much and own examples of each awaiting fettling and re-use, yet now I hanker after a Thorens TD 150AB mk2 - things we oldies do for this hobby/obsession and all for the music on vinyl when 'digital' is so clearly better, or damned well should be if the playback stereo allows it - no fun though ;)....

I really need to begin to clear my stash and the 601 was earmarked to go. Terrified to ship it far although mine came safe as houses from Germany and it was me who totalled the cover (now replaced). It's a bloody good old deck but maybe it's the styling?

I don't know what it is about certain turntables - I've come full circle on the Linn LP12, setting up hundreds in my work and owning several samples, getting to loathe it and all the spiel that goes around it and recently after years away and despairing at current new prices, finding good surviving old examples with careful arm choices can still involve and deeply entertain without totalling the bass performance as some samples and combinations undoubtedly did! My Dual 1019, which is a bit of a (motor harmonic) rumble-box, gives such utter pleasure watching it work and listening to the results I can forgive it everything!! We must be mad...

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 28 Nov 2019 08:48

Yup. If a shrink saw this forum we would all be on our merry way to the asylum in those nice white shirts with buttons on the back.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 28 Nov 2019 10:00

I've owned at least one Dual turntable for close to 50 years now and to me its an old friend.

I currently own several different models just for the fun of trying out some I never got a chance to when they were new.
The one I've owned the longest is my 604 which I bought new, but I had a couple of others before it which I passed onto friends and family. I've owned idlers,belt drive and direct drives.They are all good.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Nov 2019 11:45

T68 wrote:
28 Nov 2019 08:48
Yup. If a shrink saw this forum we would all be on our merry way to the asylum in those nice white shirts with buttons on the back.
...and singing this song, too! :lol:

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 28 Nov 2019 14:37

vinyl master wrote:
28 Nov 2019 11:45
T68 wrote:

Spot on, haha :lol: !

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 28 Nov 2019 22:55

:oops: :lol: :arrow:

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 29 Nov 2019 08:53

vinyl master wrote:
28 Nov 2019 11:45
T68 wrote:

Anyone got the original 45 of this????
The "B" side is actually the "A" side...... pressed BACKWARDS!! Like a CD, it tracks from the INNER grooves to the outer....
And, of course, you must have a TT that runs in reverse in order to hear it....plus....there's the issue with "reverse tracking" of the cartridge/tonearm.....No, I never tried it!!:)

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 02 Dec 2019 20:57

Yes, I have the 45 and no, I won’t be trying to play it back to front.

But while a kid, and did do that once and a while. I’d have to spin my record player’s platter with my finger. It amused me to hear records played backwards.

This was before the Beatles so no listening for hidden messages. It was just for laughs.