Bent Magnesium Headshell on a 1019

twice the fun
Belmont

Bent Magnesium Headshell on a 1019

Post by Belmont » 20 Nov 2019 22:45

I noticed recently that the magnesium headshell on my Dual 1019 is bent downwards ever so slightly, probably from when it was flipped over or something was stored on it. Like maybe a millimeter down, tops. The sled still attaches securely, but it's not the perfect fit I've seen in other pictures, and there's still the occasional channel drop out (not to mention the VTA is now even worse than it should be).

Would it be possible to heat it up with a soldering iron and bend it back, or should I just live with it or install a whole new arm?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Bent Magnesium Headshell on a 1019

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 Nov 2019 23:41

Magnesium is a malleable metal and can be relatively easily molded and shaped. I think what I would do is strip everything off the headshell, and place it in a suitable vise, then apply light heat (magnesium can be burned and becomes brittle at a higher temperature) and increasing pressure from the vise until you are satisfied with the result. Any kind of crude bending or hammer work stands the chance of breaking rather than bending this soft metal. I am not a machinist or metallurgist....this is just information gleaned from the 'net and my thoughts/opinion. As another option....for the brave only...soft metals like these often have shape memory....when heated significantly then cold plunged in water, they will revert to their original formed shape. However, this is a % play.....YMMV! Tread carefully with this technique! [-o<

62vauxhall

Re: Bent Magnesium Headshell on a 1019

Post by 62vauxhall » 26 Nov 2019 20:51

You are referring to the tonearm head, not a cartridge carrier/sled right?

Not being a machinist with the appropriate shop equipment will hamper your attempt.

When I required machining for some pre-amp parts, I provided the machinist at the shop I visited a precise, detailed 1 to 1 diagram.

I cannot imagine what possible benefit such a modification would achieve but it would look distinctive.