twice the fun
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Dual CS 550 specifications

Post by Japi Roelofs » 13 Nov 2019 21:44

Any Dual CS 550 owners on the forum?

I was asked by someone to mount and align his Goldring 1042 cartridge on a brand new CS 550. Rather than using the supplied gauge (it doesn't really fit snugly on the headshell, and appears to be rather crude) I decided to make an arc protractor using Conrad Hoffman's program.

Here's the specs as they appear in the manual:

Effective length: 218 mm
Offset angle: 26°
Overhang: 19.5 mm

This leaves me with a mounting / pivot to spindle distance of 198.5 mm, so I that's what I entered in the Tonearm Alignment Calculator. The outcome looks like this.
Now I can understand the inner null point of 63.77 mm, but the outer null point position at 127.36 mm seems a bit, well, out there... Interesting.

Then I measured the pivot to spindle myself. I made sure the ruler was absolutely level between the two measuring points, and what I saw was a distance of 205 mm. Hmmm... That doesn't seem right, right?

Has anyone here measured their spindle to pivot distance? It seems odd that the specs in the manual are wrong, considering this is a € 1000 turntable?

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Re: Dual CS 550 specifications

Post by lini » 14 Nov 2019 07:54

Japi: Interesting - but actually I'm not all too surprised, because I've got the impression, that the Dual-Fehrenbacher guys only have a rather limited idea of what they're doing. And what they're doing nowadays I'd in German tend to call "kreative Mangelwirtschaft" rather than proper turntable design. I.e., they rather seem to try their best with the parts or respectively the tooling they still have, but unwilling to make any real investments, so that the results of their efforts would appear quite questionable compared to the old Dual-Steidinger and Dual-Thomson era designs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Dual CS 550 specifications

Post by Japi Roelofs » 14 Nov 2019 20:59

Thanks Manfred. I have been searching online for a 'proper' test review of this model, to see if anyone noticed this discrepancy, but to no avail. I guess such a thing doesn't exist anymore. Most reviewers nowadays describe how they unpack the box, they copy/paste the manufacturer's marketing blurb, and then go on to tell how great their favourite records sound...