Dustcover reclamation project

twice the fun
mikepick
United States of America

Dustcover reclamation project

Post by mikepick » 21 Oct 2019 23:21

I couldn't resist and picked up another cheap unit last week locally. I was interested in the base for this machine since it has storage for accessories, and so I picked up an intact, somewhat working 1228 and this rather beat-up base and dust cover. Came with a cartridge holder and also one of those silver Dual double-sided stone disks, not pictured.

The dust cover was cracked pretty severely in the hinge area, you can see that one of the crack extended up 5.5 inches onto the top. The vinyl on the base is tattered as well, I think I will replace the faux sides with hardwood walnut.

So I thought this would be a good candidate for a hybrid cover, where the back part is hardwood. (Inspired by the section in Don's excellent Service Guide, can't remember the original contributor.)

It is put forward as "not difficult" in the guide, but it is actually not easy at all, although it was made more difficult because my lunchbox planer is on the fritz and so I milled a plank to thin pieces with the table saw. Adding to the difficulty is that the dust cover is not square, the sides are angled away from the top.

Nevertheless, for the near-sighted and from a distance, it is coming together reasonably well! Hardwood and sanding can mask a multitude of sins. I've just done an initial epoxy of the front half to the wooden back, after having a go at wet-sanding and polishing the acrylic. It will need another treatment, I did not get deep enough on a couple of scratches and so I am going to try and feather those in.
dual-dust-cover - 3.jpeg
(412.25 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
dual-dust-cover - 5.jpeg
(344.65 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
dual-dust-cover - 2.jpeg
(316.26 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
dual-dust-cover - 4.jpeg
(329.14 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
dual-dust-cover - 1.jpeg
(396.5 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

62vauxhall

Re: Dustcover reclamation project

Post by 62vauxhall » 22 Oct 2019 13:32

I attempted reinforcing the cracked rear portion of a Dual lid and additional weight that the "hinge" had to cope with was a problem. My experiment was unsuccessful. May your attempt be otherwise.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Oct 2019 04:07

It's starting to look like something there, mikepick...Maybe karel123's restoration from a few years back will be of some inspiration to you! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=89977

More thoughts here, too! :D

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=112833

mikepick
United States of America

Post by mikepick » 23 Oct 2019 15:15

vinyl master wrote:
23 Oct 2019 04:07
It's starting to look like something there, mikepick...Maybe karel123's restoration from a few years back will be of some inspiration to you! :wink:
That's the very one referenced in Don's PDF, and yes, that's the inspiration. :D I'm using walnut, which is going to end up darker after oiling.

I had to make the hinge area a bit thinner to work properly, but it's working now.
dual-dust-cover - 6.jpeg
(296.57 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 24 Oct 2019 17:55

Yes, Karel123 is definitely credited in the PDF Guide for this contribution he made. I might note, that I also didn't think it would be easy to do, not for a second, and especially when he notes "If I had a table saw, things would have been easier." I had to smile, as I agree with MikePick: this would be a challenge for nearly anyone. I also included several of my own walnut and ebony-backed restorations, but this is the only one which would work for Mike's project. As re: the acrylic polishing, try to keep it as even as possible, but yes you can work on specific scratch areas and if you stay with it, your cover will be as clear as when new.

I am glad to see Mike putting this to use, as this piece really displays an excellent solution. Having now shaped the back-end of the cover, Mike can now see how tricky it is to create the exact pattern for the unit to work in the hinges as it should. This also applies to a clear acrylic cover being made at a shop from scratch using plans we draw, very tricky to to. The lift-off ones are a bit easier, but still challenging. With Acrylic, the back panel is heavier than the rest of it if I'm not mistaken, so the standard thickness doesn't do well with the weight (it flexes).

As re: the Service PDF, I have been doing tedious parts identifications using partial-explosion views, also cleaning up the drawings somewhat. What I'm trying to do is to do away with some of the frustration of flipping around in a SM to learn what a particular part is called, or what it does. The SM translation names are sometimes terrible, so I've been augmenting those with terms commonly used here. This is a crazy project, hugely time consuming (the cleanup part). At the moment, working on the tonearm section of the 1229 view which is particularly lousy in the factory service manual download. We could use a new one if anybody has the SM and knows how to create a good, clean gray-shade PDF with a compact filesize. Many of the SMs are way over what they should be, given what is in them.

mikepick
United States of America

Post by mikepick » 24 Oct 2019 19:09

I think if I were to do this again I would use wood veneer with 3M adhesive backing. Fix the crack with an appropriate adhesive and then apply the veneer so that it looks like this, and reinforces and covers the cracks. Perhaps even a thin metal strip in the hinge flap to stiffen it as well.

The hardwood is tricky to work with given the angles of the joinery. Veneer might look a bit less rustic, but would make for a crisper result.

Anyway, here is where I am now, after a Danish oil treatment and assembly. I built a hardwood base for the plastic tray as well. Still some work to do, but overall I'm happy with it. I think a coat of shellac or wipe-on poly would give it a nice satin shine.
dual-dust-cover-oiled - 1.jpeg
(521.35 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
dual-dust-cover-oiled - 2.jpeg
(373.82 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
dual-dust-cover-oiled - 3.jpeg
(272.33 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
dual-dust-cover-oiled - 4.jpeg
(245.86 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
dual-dust-cover-oiled - 5.jpeg
(453.65 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 24 Oct 2019 20:37

Very nice!!

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 25 Oct 2019 11:39

By the way, I just found a 1229 for a very good price. The dust cover is of the sliding type, sold in Europe, and one of the hinges is broken off and missing.
Has anybody come across such a plexi cover and found a way to replace the missing hinge in a nice looking repair?
Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!
Cheers,

Hugh
Attachments
DSC00033.JPG
(130.99 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
DSC00034.JPG
(114.16 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
DSC00035.JPG
(103.71 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
DSC00036.JPG
(122.83 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

mikepick
United States of America

Post by mikepick » 25 Oct 2019 13:09

I've not seen one of those covers "in the flesh" before.

Maybe 3d printed parts with a connecting bolt?
Hugues TR4 wrote:
25 Oct 2019 11:39
By the way, I just found a 1229 for a very good price. The dust cover is of the sliding type, sold in Europe, and one of the hinges is broken off and missing.
Has anybody come across such a plexi cover and found a way to replace the missing hinge in a nice looking repair?
Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!
Cheers,

Hugh

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 25 Oct 2019 14:05

Thank you Mike,
Seems like this type was only made for the European market.
Waiting for some Europeans to chime in… looking for ideas…
Cheers,

Hugh

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 29 Oct 2019 01:28

mikepick wrote:
24 Oct 2019 19:09
I think if I were to do this again I would use wood veneer with 3M adhesive backing. Fix the crack with an appropriate adhesive and then apply the veneer so that it looks like this, and reinforces and covers the cracks. Perhaps even a thin metal strip in the hinge flap to stiffen it as well.

The hardwood is tricky to work with given the angles of the joinery. Veneer might look a bit less rustic, but would make for a crisper result.

Anyway, here is where I am now, after a Danish oil treatment and assembly. I built a hardwood base for the plastic tray as well. Still some work to do, but overall I'm happy with it. I think a coat of shellac or wipe-on poly would give it a nice satin shine.

dual-dust-cover-oiled - 1.jpegdual-dust-cover-oiled - 2.jpegdual-dust-cover-oiled - 3.jpegdual-dust-cover-oiled - 4.jpegdual-dust-cover-oiled - 5.jpeg

NICE! How many hours did you have in removing the scratches? I've been working on one for a 1218 when I get time. I've still got a long way to go. Any comments as to how you did it are appreciated.

Bob

mikepick
United States of America

Post by mikepick » 31 Oct 2019 16:36

BoblK wrote:
29 Oct 2019 01:28

NICE! How many hours did you have in removing the scratches? I've been working on one for a 1218 when I get time. I've still got a long way to go. Any comments as to how you did it are appreciated.

Bob
Hi Bob:

I don't know that it took too many hours, many a couple. I did a wet sand starting with 400, then 800, 100, 1500, and 2000 grit paper. Each round is done in small circles with relatively light pressure, making sure to cover the surface comprehensively, with plenty of water. I finish with the 3-step Novus polish, usually have to do Novus 2 a couple of times.

That said, my process needs improvement. Perhaps more steps in the wet sand. The other really tricky part is feathering around the logo, it's tough to do a good job while trying to avoid ruining the logo, even when it is masked with tape. So there is still some cloudiness in that area. With this cover I also concentrated on the top, the sides have a few small scratches, but not enough to justify sanding as I find the sides awkward.

ForthTom
Scotland

Post by ForthTom » 01 Nov 2019 08:25

Hugh, I have a hinge from that type of lid. I found it rattling around inside my 1229. I think it may be a left-side one but you're welcome to have it if you want to give it a try.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/489 ... 726e05.jpg

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 01 Nov 2019 11:09

Hi Tom,
What a wonderful find! Even left side would probably help (could be reversible?)
I was actually getting quite desperate, no one seems to have this part for sale anywhere. If you do not mind parting it, I would be extremely grateful if you could send it to Belgium. I'm ready to pay whatever cost it will involve through paypal, a bank draft or anything convenient for you (we will have to hurry before Brexit complicates everything!)
I'll PM you to give you my address.
Now this cover will be worth re-polishing, and it's a rare one…
Many, many thanks to you!
My 1229 is completely overhauled and serviced now (listening to a Roy Orbison LP now) this will give the final touch!
Thanks again,

Cheers,

Hugh

ForthTom
Scotland

Post by ForthTom » 01 Nov 2019 18:45

Hi Hugh

Looks like my lurking around this forum has paid off in a most unexpected way. I wouldn't have known what the thing was if it hadn't been for Vinyl Engine. Sadly that's all of the dust cover that remained. I have no idea whether it will help or not. I will leave that to you and look forward to hearing more about your restoration.

Tom