remove 721 from base.

twice the fun
joea
United States of America

remove 721 from base.

Post by joea » 04 Oct 2019 21:04

It's a very basic question . . . OK sorry for the attempted pun.

So, I just picked up a used, non working 721. The start stop lever rotates freely. I have read about that issue, but if you want to chime in on that, feel free.

After removing the platter and attempting to lock the shipping screws, two of them would not "back out" to locked position, acting as if attempting to "gall". One did as it should, so I called it good and went on my way.

Once getting into it a bit, I immediately came up short on getting the unit out of the base. As with most Duals, I attempted to "free float" the suspension screws and tilt them to clear the cutouts in the base. Seems reluctant to co-operate, in that it seems "stuck" to the base.

I do have the user and service manual, from the VE library, but do not see a specific reference to that.

Any words of wisdom? Or even ridicule for missing something so simple?

joea
United States of America

Re: remove 721 from base.

Post by joea » 05 Oct 2019 03:34

This can close down. Got it out , standard way. Just took more stuggle. With a thread restore file cleannec up screws.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 06 Oct 2019 13:37

To future readers - Make sure the cable clamp underneath at the back is released from the bottom tray FIRST at least, so the chassis can be better lifted away from the plinth... Older plinths have no such clamps I believe.

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 06 Oct 2019 14:03

DSJR wrote:
06 Oct 2019 13:37
To future readers - Make sure the cable clamp underneath at the back is released from the bottom tray FIRST at least, so the chassis can be better lifted away from the plinth... Older plinths have no such clamps I believe.
Good point. I was astonished that once I got it "free" there was still resistance once lifted up a bit.