Troubleshooting 1229 idler wheel

twice the fun
zeilend
United States of America

Troubleshooting 1229 idler wheel

Post by zeilend » 22 Sep 2019 13:14

Hello there. I recently came into a 1229 that I've slowly been restoring. The first thing that I did was clean / regrease the speed control mechanism and cam wheel, and that brought the turntable into working (although not perfect) order. Music to my ears.

Yesterday I serviced the motor and after I reinstalled it, the platter is suddenly no longer spinning. I pulled the platter off to see what was happening underneath, and the idler wheel is moving at the right speed, switches speeds, etc. My first thought was that I had got grease on the pulley and that it was transferring to the idler wheel and screwing up with the friction, so I cleaned the wheel, pulley, and platter rim with isopropyl alcohol to remove the grease.

It still isn't working. I'm not entirely sure what else to do (maybe something in the idler mechanism got bend somehow), so any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Troubleshooting 1229 idler wheel

Post by mrow2 » 22 Sep 2019 21:26

Hi I have quite a bit on this; check my direct PM to your message bin... it's a lot to write here but includes treating the platter drum, idler wheel, and maybe alignment. There are several other issues for this particular deck as well.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 23 Sep 2019 19:50

Hi -- Thinking about this further, the idler wheel needs to be properly "dressed" - just cleaning with isopropyl might not give it enough grip on the pulley and platter. The idler should be as level as possible, and the idler assembly needs full fluid movement without any old dirt or old grease obstructing movements. It works by being slightly pinched against the platter drum and pulley. These idlers, pushing 50, are more firm than when new, and little less pliable. Isopropyl dries them out further. Avoid anything except cleaning on the pulley since the metal is very soft and changing the measurements of it also affect the speed and speed control. The platter drum also needs attention. 1229 is more forgiving than 1019 for instance, and thus should not be terribly difficult to get this done. There is still a full servicing ahead if it's not been done. A full servicing on the platter bearing will also help. There are some easy pitfalls there. Cheers, D

zeilend
United States of America

Post by zeilend » 23 Sep 2019 23:38

Thanks for the tips / insight. I cleaned the speed control and idler assembly last weekend but will take it apart for another go around just to get a good inspection to see if anything was knocked out of place when I serviced the motor. It's just frustrating because it WAS working a few days ago. One step forward, one step back...

I'm sure that there are many resources on this forum already regarding dressing the idler wheel (I'm going to search right now), but if you have any recommendations / insights I'm all ears.