Dual 1019 Motor Shutoff Mechanism

twice the fun
andysomnifac

Dual 1019 Motor Shutoff Mechanism

Post by andysomnifac » 15 Sep 2019 19:42

I opened up my 1019 and I'm looking at the motor shutoff issue first.

When I move the can gear I see that there is a tab that runs along the outside of it that (I am making the assumption) should be able to retract into a little cutout in the gear. This does not seem to be happening. See pictures below:

As far as it will retract into opening by itself, motor will not stop:
https://i.imgur.com/GX3CYFb.jpg

When in this position, moving the switch to manual does not really contact the little lever that is part of the linkage, which would power the motor.

I can move the linkage by hand so that it sits in the opening:
https://i.imgur.com/h87cJYh.jpg

The motor then cuts off and I can move the switch to manual and it moves the linkage so the tab comes out of the opening.

I can see the only pivot on the linkage:
https://i.imgur.com/VY9VrxK.jpg

Do I need to start actually removing screws to get down to this pivot and clean it out, it an I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Andy

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Dual 1019 Motor Shutoff Mechanism

Post by Hugues TR4 » 15 Sep 2019 20:14

I'm afraid it is the first think to do!
It certainly is blocked by old grease turned into glue by age.
I usually clean this pivot/screw/axle (called grooved axle sometimes) in some isopropyl alcool, then put on a drill and let it spin for a few seconds on some 1200 grit sand paper, and finally re-lube it with Alvania (Shell Gadus grease) or even sticky chain saw oil.
Please take your time and… lots of pictures to reassemble properly afterwards.
Your issue will disappear.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Hugh.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 15 Sep 2019 21:27

That is the best advice and most concise explanation I've seen. Cheers, -- D

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 15 Sep 2019 21:31

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I started just disassembling things.

Andy

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 16 Sep 2019 12:51

Looking at other threads others have said that they have had trouble breaking loose the screw circled below:
https://i.imgur.com/rEXsgrI.png
I similarly put a flathead in the slot and, while I didn't put a ton of force behind it (for fear of damaging it), it didn't budge.

I believe they said that there is a nut on the top side of the cover the loosens the boss that it screws into, but I had some slight questions before I go that direction. I'm currently in my office, without the turntable in front of me, so please excuse any dumb questions. I'm just working it through in my head.

I see that the topmost lever is keyed to allow it to be removed from the screw w/o the screw being removed:
https://i.imgur.com/wHxqwTj.png
So, the question:

Is it best practice to remove the various screws and springs holding items to that main lever and remove them separately? Basically, as I uncover each "layer" of linkage, is it similarly keyed, allowing it to be removed?

Or am I going to have to eventually deal with this screw in order to properly lube the main pivot?

Thanks,
Andy

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 16 Sep 2019 21:41

There is indeed a nut on the top side that you have to remove in order to be able to unscrew the grooved axle (there is a thread in the chassis, the nut acts as a counter nut).
Then it will be easy to take the said axle out.
This is the main obstacle to a normal function of the main switch: you will see that when completely free, the switch-off function will work like a charm!
Only the top lever can be removed without unscrewing. You'll have to take the circlips and washer out to reach the bottom levers and clean and re-lube everything properly, I'm afraid. Not a big deal though. Just note what you do and take pics.
Do what I said earlier: polish the axle and lube.
Good luck,

Cheers,

Hugh.

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 18 Sep 2019 01:58

Ok, so I say down tonight and tried to get at the main pivot. Various linkages, levers, screws, and springs were removed to get down to the pickup itself. I removed the c-clip and wavy washer, tried to loosen the screw/shaft that's the fulcrum of the pivot and it wouldn't budge.

Time to step back. I then grabbed my soldering iron and heated it up so that I could get some heat into the pivot point to see if I could get some better movement on it and wouldn't you know? With some heat, patience, and regular movement it worked itself nice and loose. I then went at it with more isopropyl alcohol to clean out as much as I could and gave it a dab of 3-in-1 oil and reassembled. Now it moves smoothly on the pivot and I get full shutoff of the motor.

Unfortunately that may have unearthed a different problem. I'll post that in the main thread about my turntable.

But the bottom line is: even if you can't get the pivot point out, some heat and patience may give you results.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 18 Sep 2019 09:28

Did you actually remove the counter nut on top of the chassis first? Strange that this axle was so difficult to remove…
Anyway, congrats for your successful attempt.
Cheers,

Hugh

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 18 Sep 2019 12:06

I did remove the nut, yes. Maybe I was being overly cautious, out of fear of damaging the slot on the screw but I just couldn't get it to budge.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 19 Sep 2019 09:48

Well, fifty years old grease can sometimes become as hard as the toughest glue.
Congrats for having found an alternative solution!
Following Dualcan's advice, I started to lubricate the grooved axle with some sticky chain oil iso Alvania, and so far, it seems to give a smoother function of the switch lever. Just treated three 1219 this way.
While removed from the chassis, you can fit the axle on a hand drill and let it spin wrapped in a piece of grit 1200 sand paper.
It becomes shiny and smooth, just ready for the lube.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hugh.