Dual 1019 w/ (hopefully) minor mechanical issues

twice the fun
andysomnifac

Re: Dual 1019 w/ (hopefully) minor mechanical issues

Post by andysomnifac » 16 Sep 2019 12:38

Don,

Thanks. I just wanted to double-check before willy nilly disassembling things.

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 18 Sep 2019 02:05

Good news: I've freed the main pivot and the motor shuts off now.

More good news: I got a replacement steuerpimpel and installed it. Now the cueing works properly. Before the lever wouldn't lift the tonearm at all. It now lifts it off the surface of a record with no problem. Comparing the original with the replacement before it was installed showed how worn it was.

And the bad news: I can't say if this would have been an issue before getting the main pivot, but now when I put a record on the platter, select the speed and size and move the lever to start it goes through the proper start cycle, dropping the needle where it is supposed to. But then the motor stops.

Also if I move the switch to manual the motor only starts on as long as I hold the switch there. Those two seem related, but I don't know enough to say for certain.

So, could this be a problem I introduced and there's something out of adjustment? Or is there something I should attack next?

Thanks for everyone's help so far. We're gonna get there.

Andy

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 18 Sep 2019 05:14

Looking at the service manual it seems I have to adjust screw #175 that sets the angle on the switch arm. I'll get on that tomorrow. Hopefully that gets me even closer.

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 18 Sep 2019 15:52

So, looking at the service manual it says:
Switch arm (128) fails to engage latch (179).
With the solution:
Loosen screw (175) and turn the short arm piece on the long switch-arm piece. Turn the main can to it's null position and adjust for about 1/64th" between the tabs (L) and the arm segment, when the tonearm drops into the arm rest.
Here's is the applicable figure:
https://i.imgur.com/VtY484S.png
I must be missing something obvious. What exactly is the cam null point? And I can see the tab that 179 should be adjusted against, but I'm not seeing what it is supposed to do, so I'm having trouble setting it properly. I see that the tab moves away from 179 as the tonearm moves from the rest position, but 179 just send to sit there in space.

Does anytime have a plain English translation from service guide? Or better yet pictures/video of property operation?

Andy

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 19 Sep 2019 05:40

Study this thread; the models are very similar: viewtopic.php?F=37&t=105463

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 19 Sep 2019 12:28

Don,

Thanks, that makes it far more clear. Hopefully, I can get this adjusted this weekend. Then I will just have the end of side auto return to look at.

Thanks,
Andy

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 19 Sep 2019 19:11

It was referenced in my PDF Guide, but probably doesn't stand out from everything else. Since yesterday, I've made the writing more straightforward. -- Don

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 19 Sep 2019 23:35

Don,

Thanks for pointing me towards that thread. The visual made all the difference. I had a chance just now to look at it and it took no the at all to get it adjusted properly.

Now to look at the end of side shutoff, which I see is covered in your guide.

Thanks again,
Andy

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 20 Sep 2019 00:38

What I've found:

I can lift the tonearm and move it manually towards the center of the record and the end of side will trigger, but the point is inside the label of any record I've tried. So, does this mean less if an issue with the next being gummed up, more of it being an adjustment issue? I see that the post that lever 171 pivots on is an eccentric adjustment if you remove the c-clip and slide it off the post. However, this doesn't give it the adjustment it needs to hit the sheriff mech attached to the underside of the cam.

Is there an additional adjustment I'm not seeing?