Dual 701 (series 2) starting problem

twice the fun
Mathijs Kok
Antigua & Barbuda

Dual 701 (series 2) starting problem

Post by Mathijs Kok » 22 Aug 2019 11:16

I got an issue with the automatic start of my 701.

- Automatic return at end of the record works fine.
- Manual stop works fine.
- New Steurpimpel installed.
- Standard 1,5 gram tracking force and 1 gram side force.
- Manually move the arm on the record works fine.

When I use the start button all looks to be going fine. The plate below the Steurpimpel moves up and sideways but the arm does not even twitch, the Steurpimpel just glides over the plate.

Anybody any idea what to look for?

Mathijs Kok
Antigua & Barbuda

Re: Dual 701 (series 2) starting problem

Post by Mathijs Kok » 22 Aug 2019 17:17

After looking at it some more, things are even more weird. The glider plate (219 in the manual) pushes the arm the wrong way!

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 22 Aug 2019 18:51

The main lever is articulated as the cam is in effect upside down compared to lesser models! Which pimpel did you get? The ones mrow2 (Don) here makes are fine if properly lubricated.

The pimpel is fitted to a sprung mounting pin and there must be some 'spring' left when lifted. Check the top of the tonearm lifting assembly. When the arm is automatically lifted, there must be a smidge of free play against the max height stop. If there isn't, the arm will not move. Adjust as per the service manual in the library here with the finger nut #61 in diagram 11 in the service manual.

Please take GREAT care with this deck (and to others with 721's and similar top end Duals). Parts are almost unobtainable and not common as less of these were made. It's easy to misalign certain parts that run around the main cam pivot for example and I didn't discover that until some years after I acquired the deck (I've had the thing thirty years now and it's become part of me).

You know, if you're not used to working on decks like this, I'd advise getting an old cheap bottom-line Dual 10** or 12** model and practising on that first, so you get the 'feel' for these decks and mechanisms.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 22 Aug 2019 19:54

Trying to guess how the main lever moves the steuerpimpel (and tonearm) by means of observing the direction it is moving is comical, as it is a clutch type of movement and it glides and slides in its partly-frictioned movements as it guides the tonearm in to the position above lead-in groove. What you need to know is that it's a balance of establishing the right amount of purchase against the main lever, with just the right amount of Alvania (very little is used). I presume the tonearm tracks perfectly once it plays the record and there's no horizontal obstruction? Like DSJR says, 701 is precise and everything needs to be just right.

Mathijs Kok
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by Mathijs Kok » 24 Aug 2019 14:49

I am not a novice in working on turntables (I did a few Linn's) but this is my first Dual and my first automatic. Although Dual did its best confusing people with it's service manual I think I understand almost all of it's movements. But the starting issue has be stumped.

Instead of pulling the arm towards the record it pushes it deeper in the armrest. Of course that is because the main lift lever comes up and then turns clockwise (seen from above) and then drops down before moving back to it's rest position.
As far as I can see it should first turn clockwise, then come up. That would move the arm the right way.

Perhaps a video will help explain it better. As you see it is not a question of adjustment, it must be some element that is not correctly connected.