Shure V15 for my 621

twice the fun
Timfromfmass
United States of America

Shure V15 for my 621

Post by Timfromfmass » 15 Aug 2019 16:35

So I’m looking for a new cart for my Dual 621 that I’ve had for about 10 months. I have an AT10 with an aftermarket elliptical 12e stylus on now. I was going to get something new like an AT440MLB or Denon DL110 for around $200, but everyone seems to go nuts for the Shure v15. There’s many different versions and of course mostly needing a new stylus and they can go for at least what these new carts cost!

I’ve come across a 15 iii LM which is obviously what Dual put on their top end tables to begin with. The person selling it isn’t a used electronics dealer specifically and isn’t looking to get top dollar. He has come across a large number of carts over a couple of years from a guy who used to service turntables and the guys claims them to be NOS. The seller has 100% positive feedback well over 1000 transactions. He’s been very responsive and honest. I’m a little nervous about it not being NOS because then I’d incur the cost of a new stylus as well

The cartridge looks to be in like new shape and at least from the pictures the stylus looks good (although it’s missing the fold down guard). The stylus grip is black and has a white label on the front with “Shure” written in black writing. Do we know which version of the stylus this would be from that info?

I like the idea of it fitting perfectly on my headshell no alignment, the iii seems to be the best version of this cart, and if the stylus is good it’s an authentic Shure. With comparable carts going for over $200 is this worth a shot for $150 for those with more experience than myself? Thanks Dualers!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Shure V15 for my 621

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Aug 2019 17:11

I own several Duals including a 621 which I feel is one of the under appreciated models in the Dual lineup. The V15 Type III is a good match for the 621 tonearm and the price sounds good if the stylus is in good shape too.

From the description it is probably the standard elliptical stylus.

If you need a replacement down the road then a better quality JICO perhaps even an SAS, or something from LP Gear would be good options.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 15 Aug 2019 19:19

V15III will not disappoint. Jico VN3G is a great starter stylus for this cartridge should it need replacing.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 15 Aug 2019 20:09

So the stylus is most likely the vn35e right? I know there was a conical stylus for this model too and wanted to make sure it wasn’t that

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 15 Aug 2019 20:59

I have to say the 621 is a great turntable especially since this one was sold to me as broken for $20. The tone arm wouldn’t go back to the set position and honestly I just gave it a tiny bit of force and has worked like a champ ever since. I have to dial the pitch differently from 45rpm to 33 but once I get the speed right it plays locked 100%. I’m finally opening the table this weekend to replace the pimple, and I plan to relubricate everything and clean the contacts. Not sure if that’ll even the speed issue out, but that’s a small problem for a table who’s performed is otherwise stellar imo

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 16 Aug 2019 02:08

Wow, you got a score I'd say. Most 70's Duals are broken at this point in time but they typically still go for a lot more than what you paid.

I have several different stylus for my V15III, Jico VN3G (conical), Shure VN35HE (Shure hyper elliptical), and Jico SAS/R (SAS with Ruby cantilever) Which one am I currently running? The VN3G.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 16 Aug 2019 02:29

Legrace wrote:
16 Aug 2019 02:08
Wow, you got a score I'd say. Most 70's Duals are broken at this point in time but they typically still go for a lot more than what you paid.

I have several different stylus for my V15III, Jico VN3G (conical), Shure VN35HE (Shure hyper elliptical), and Jico SAS/R (SAS with Ruby cantilever) Which one am I currently running? The VN3G.
All of those options and you’re liking the comical the best?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 16 Aug 2019 02:58

Timfromfmass wrote:
16 Aug 2019 02:29
Legrace wrote:
16 Aug 2019 02:08

All of those options and you’re liking the comical the best?
First of all great pun! Get one and then tell me what you think. Although if your collection is mainly new albums the SAS is a slam dunk.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 16 Aug 2019 04:31

Haha unintentional puns are the best. I have a pretty good mix of both new and used

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Aug 2019 14:26

Timfromfmass wrote:
15 Aug 2019 20:09
So the stylus is most likely the vn35e right? I know there was a conical stylus for this model too and wanted to make sure it wasn’t that
Although there is a conical option it wouldn't be very common as most would have had the elliptical stylus.

One thing to consider in a replacement stylus is the dimensions with the better ones being .2 X .7 mil, and then some are .3 X .7 and .4 X .7 . The finer ones will reveal more detail and also any ticks or pops more readily. A conical is more forgiving of ticks and pops on older used records. You might also want to consider a cheaper generic such as a Tonar for playing used vinyl , and save the better quality stylus such as an SAS or original for the newer and more pristine records.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 16 Aug 2019 15:35

Tinkaroo wrote:
16 Aug 2019 14:26
Timfromfmass wrote:
15 Aug 2019 20:09
Although there is a conical option it wouldn't be very common as most would have had the elliptical stylus.

One thing to consider in a replacement stylus is the dimensions with the better ones being .2 X .7 mil, and then some are .3 X .7 and .4 X .7 . The finer ones will reveal more detail and also any ticks or pops more readily. A conical is more forgiving of ticks and pops on older used records. You might also want to consider a cheaper generic such as a Tonar for playing used vinyl , and save the better quality stylus such as an SAS or original for the newer and more pristine records.
Above aptly explains why I prefer the conical. The V15III is on what I call my beater table. Use it exclusively for my older records and 2nd hand purchases. The conical is noticeably quieter, makes listening to these records more enjoyable.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 16 Aug 2019 22:00

The best original stylus for the V15 III was the HE model (red colour mounting) - I never got to hear the MR version.

Seriously, today, the V15 III* is slightly hard toned and dry in terms of acoustic reproduction. I know some exalted cartridge confections over-egg the reverb bit and put a kind of 'halo' around everything - something audiophiles inexperienced to master grade recordings like very much, but to me, the venerable old V15 III goes a tad too far the other way, sounding just a bit too much like an early CD player that lacks some 'air and space' I think. The V15 IV smoothed it all out just a tad too much, showing vinyl more as it really is for many people's liking, but the V15 VMR sounded amazing in my 701, the stylus broken accidentally by my other half who to this day doesn't know what she did.

For a 621, I honestly feel an AT540 shpould be ideal at not silly money. Whether an SAS stylus will fully update a V15 III I really don't know, but just to say that when I entered the industry properly in 1974, the V15 III in the top end store I started in had been supplanted already by the Stanton 681EEE and especially the ADC XLM II, this latter sounding wonderful in my then brand new 1229!

if the phono stage takes low output MC types, I wonder how the AT-F7 might sound? Apparently it's really good. The DL110 is a safe but rather bland sounding cartridge really and always has been. Its price has also rocketed in recent years and not just in the UK either...

* I have two V15 III's with good original styli. One is a proper half inch mounting model and the other is the LM version Dual fitted to their headshells. I've really tried with it in my 701 but the ADC ZLM always goes in instead (I save the Sonus Blue for best ;))

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 16 Aug 2019 22:10

Thanks for all of the info! I did end up ordering the v15 so we’ll see what I think of it. If I don’t love it I can surely sell it at least for what I paid and try another option. We’ll see if it lives up to the legendary status it has claimed

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 17 Aug 2019 21:27

In the days of digital, the flatter response will be an advantage and 1g tracking is still excellent if mine are anything to go by. The stock Dual exit cables have plenty of capacitance and this helps. I'm sure it'll be fine for your needs. The stylus suspensions seem to last well too and the diamond was better than the lesser models I remember.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 19 Aug 2019 22:23

The cart should be here tomorrow so I’m going to get it mounted but also open up the turntable at some point this week. Looking for some advice from the experts!

I got some deoxit to clean the contacts in the headhell and down on the end where the rca leads come from. I think I’m pretty comfortable with what I need to do for the pimple replacement. As I said the table keeps extremely consistent time once I get the pitch dialed in so I’m hesitant to lube much of anything else, as it all seems to work. Is there any other area I should focus on? The variance in speed when I switch from 33 to 45 is probably a capacitor or board issue right? I’m not really comfortable getting into that kind of thing, but if you feel there’s something mechanical I could attack on that end or if lube and cleaning in some area might help I’m open to that. Thanks!