Craigslist Daul find

twice the fun
Reburg99
United States of America

Craigslist Daul find

Post by Reburg99 » 13 Aug 2019 13:06

I posted this up in the Turntable and Tonearms section..completely missed the sub forms :oops:

I'm starting to make the dive into records :D long story short.... I pick up a lot of 4 Dual TT off Craig's list over the weekend, a 506 with an Ortonfon ULM 55E cart that works well after messing with the speed adjustment. A 1237 that seems to function but no cart or holder. 2 1228s one works with a generic cart, but the holder is missing the adjuster knob thingie and the other works if you manually swing the arm over and no cart or holder. I know that none are the top of the line, but the 506 sounds 100x better then the one I currently have. Which way should I go? Which one would be the best sounding once cleaned and spruced up? I should mention I noticed the 506 seems to have a slight wrap on the platter. Is that something that can be straightened or only replaced?

vanakaru

Re: Craigslist Daul find

Post by vanakaru » 13 Aug 2019 13:56

I have/had 12** Duals - about 10 of them. Because I like idler drive TTs and just happened to start with 1224 that impressed me a lot. Dual holders are rather easy to obtain and many are interchangeable. I have accumulated fair amount of these over the years.
I have similar Dual for your 506 namely 1257 with Ulm arm. That is belt driven also. I did not like the ULM cart but to use some other ones is kind of tricky. There is 1/2'' adapter for this headshell on eBay. I ended up constructing my own adapter out of dead cartridge. This arm likes light tracking light carts. My favourite has been Accutex M410E(Ortofon OM20 was too harsh for my taste). So since you have 506 working I would fix this up as much as possible.
About the warp - you may be able to bend it back somewhat but make sure where the problem is located. Like does the platter wobble or just the rubber mat. Does the spindle feel loose(you should check the bearings in anyway). And so on and so forth.

Reburg99
United States of America

Post by Reburg99 » 13 Aug 2019 19:36

I'll have to look at the bearing etc, I hadn't considered that. What didn't you like about he ULM? I've looked on ebay and the holders are going for $30+ for the most part. Seems a little over priced for a little piece of plastic, but I guess it is what it is. This make me want to buy a 3D printer....

philburtaj

Post by philburtaj » 14 Aug 2019 20:27

I have the 1237 and love it (despite the plastic base) and just picked up a 1219. With both of them, I found simply cleaning out the old lubricants and re-lubing them with the appropriate grease and oil made a world of difference. Changer mechanism would actually work and everything got a lot quieter. It is also important to shim the feet until it is level (use a bubble level) and setup the arm/cartridge appropriately (buy yourself a Dual cartridge alignment jig and a tracking force gauge). The service manual and some of the DIY repair manuals out there are also indispensable.

Remember that part of the fun of a turntable is fiddling with all the maintenance and setup to get it to sound nice, but in the end you just need to sit back and enjoy the tunes. Good luck!

Reburg99
United States of America

Post by Reburg99 » 15 Aug 2019 16:00

we're taking our son back to college... life will crazy over the next few weeks. I'll try to post some pics, but won't have time to do much with anything till after he's back and I get my office setup (laying claim to his bedroom). Good times!