Dual 701 starts and stops, starts and stops...

twice the fun
tapsa
Finland

Dual 701 starts and stops, starts and stops...

Post by tapsa » 11 Jul 2019 19:04

Hi!

I have lubricated cam wheel according to duancan's pdf guide (cam and cycling problems). Everything seems good to me but shut-off level is not working as it should, IMHO. My question is: Is silicone oil ak 100.000 really right or should it be ak 300.000 under friction plate?

I have used CRC multi grease (KP2K-30) instead of Alvania (switch level) in lubrication points of mechanics. It it's viscosity ok?

I don't see any damage in any parts of mechanics.

-tapsa-

Solist
Slovenia

Re: Dual 701 starts and stops, starts and stops...

Post by Solist » 16 Jul 2019 22:56

Did this start stop problem occur before?

If he wrote 100,000 then you should use 100,000.

300,000 is really high viscosity oil (basically glue), and should not be used where 100,000 is mentioned.

In regard to the CRC - viscosity at 40C = 155
Shell GADUS_S2 V220 AC 2 - viscosity at 40C = 220

Should be fine, but I hope you cleaned the old oil to a point you could perform open heart surgery. Some oils dont like to be mixed and can cause all sorts of problems.

It could be that you misaligned some part of the auto return mechanism, or it could be caused by the 300,000cst oil.

tapsa
Finland

Post by tapsa » 18 Jul 2019 05:28

Thank you Solist. There must be some adjustment wrong because it didn't happen before. Of course I have cleaned everything with IPA before lubricating and have used ak 100.000 silicone oil.

I must leave this "project" for some time because I'm too busy to check anything now. When I have time I double check everything once again, perhaps I have not noticed some important adjustment.

-tapsa-

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 18 Jul 2019 10:57

No problem. It would be worth checking the service manual. I quickly read it but could not find anything that would help. Maybe check the pictures there and compare if everything is positioned as it should be. Interestingly there is no mention of the 100,000cst oil on the cam, just Shell Alvania no.2.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/701.shtml

Really nice turntable you got :D

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 18 Jul 2019 11:11

On the cam, my personal experience is that the trip friction plates should be DRY on this model, with the plates free to move against each other with absolutely NO added drag here. The 1229 suggestion of a pin tip of 100,000 to the friction plate (pawl) *pivot* (not the plates themselves from memory) was to stop these flying/fluttering back out into engagement with the platter at 78rpm, the 701 family being rather more gentle and delicate here.

I have two 701 cams, one with broken tooth after my accelerating platter situation of a few years back. NEITHER of them have any lubricant that I can see on the trip friction plates and these can shake easily back and forth if the cam is gently shaken.

It's difficult to check on these, but the friction plates are usually pushed back to the 'rest' position just before the cam stops rotating at end of cycle, thereby preventing any engagement until pushed into position by the shut off slider #164 One of the trip plates #123 has a bent-up 'tang' which is pushed by the shut off slider. This part should be reasonably vertical from the side yet bent over to one side slightly as viewed from the front of it. I can't explain better but both mine are like this and if this 'tang' is bent totally perpendicular, the trip doesn't work at all!