Dual 1216 Tonearm swings back to rest on decending to record

twice the fun
Bruce Dowd

Dual 1216 Tonearm swings back to rest on decending to record

Post by Bruce Dowd » 20 Jun 2019 05:47

Hello all

I have a Dual 1216 , that I have re -greased/olied and is working well EXCEPT - When I press start all good until the tonearm descends to the record - It just swings back toward the tonearm rest , sometimes completely shutting off sometimes just rubbing against the side of the record . ? cause and area to adjust / fix please .

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Dual 1216 Tonearm swings back to rest on decending to record

Post by DSJR » 22 Jun 2019 14:32

Look again at the pimpel fitted, as these can flatten and lose 'grip' on the main lever. Also the setting of the bias correction (anti-skate). The arm should be under a certain amount of drag when auto cycling and if the settings are correct, the arm should drop straight down, the added drag being removed pretty much when the stylus hits the record. is the main 'segment' attached to the base of the tonearm shaft aligned so the arm isn't pulled to the stop position at the beginning of an LP? (Check the service manual here)

At the time, there were no truly suitable pimpel replacements (it's different on this 10" platter generation and earlier decks). I found that removing the pimpel on my 1214, tweaking it a bit gently and replacing it, completely solved the problem.

On this model and relatives, I'd be inclined not to over-grease the main lever 'paddle' which pushes against the pimpel. As I'm sure you're aware, the Dualcan and mrow2 information (pictures on Dualcan site and service sheet from mrow2) are very helpful.

Hope this helps.