Dual 1214. Tonearm ground, headshell joint

twice the fun
nonost
Spain

Dual 1214. Tonearm ground, headshell joint

Post by nonost » 18 Jun 2019 19:51

Hi. I've changed the wiring of the Dual 1214 I've just restored. Everything is working well but after doing the same to my 1235 a question came to my mind.

The 1214 has four wires instead of five. Well, actually it is two shielded cables...But anyway, the tonearm ground wire is missing. They soldered together two contacts at the headshell so the tonearm ground went with left/right channel ground wire. Do I have to unsolder this joint and run a new wire from the headshell?

Cheers.

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Dual 1214. Tonearm ground, headshell joint

Post by lenjack » 18 Jun 2019 21:45

If it's working well and the channels are not reversed, and the channels are in phase, leave it alone, sit back and have a beverage of your choice, enjoy the music, and find something else to worry about.

nonost
Spain

Post by nonost » 26 Jun 2019 13:05

You're right lenjack, sometimes I can get obsessed.

I researched a little bit and it looks that for more sensitive cartridges it could be a problem in some cases. But yes, I should run another wire in order to ground the tonearm.

Thanks!

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 26 Jun 2019 16:57

Dual 'grounded' the deck in two places. One was in the shell to 'ground' the metalwork of the tonearm and headshell 'shield' and then at the back of the muting assembly and main connection for the external wires (a 'star' shaped washer with a wire link connecting the main deck plate to the signal returns).

My own deck seems pretty silent for general hum with the cartridges I have here and my suggestion perhaps, is to follow Duals lead on 'grounding' these earlier decks, as trying to alter it can do funny things of my 1019 wiring is anything to go by.

I think Dualcan Klaus had some suggestions, but I haven't seen him around here recently.