How does a Garrard Zero 100s compare to my Dual601

twice the fun
DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: How does a Garrard Zero 100s compare to my Dual601

Post by DSJR » 26 Jun 2019 17:09

Have you never seen what the Garrard style of 'pushing the LP record off a ledge*' to land on the record below with a clatter does to the centre holes after a number of years? Sorry to disagree, but I have physical proof here of enlarged centre holes too and also all but torn label areas around the centre holes by repeated playing of singles on a fixed spindle in my infancy and youth (late 50's to early 70's). I've just remembered that our singles had standard sized centre holes, not the enlarged ones as I believe many US singles have... * At least Collaro had a system for gently lowering the remaining stack of records onto the 'step' rather than forcing the 'tang' back against the mass of the stack of records above...

Ah well. Auto-changing carried on over 'your' side of the pond it seems long after it was consigned to history in the UK. I use a conical tip cartridge (AT91 family - a Rega Carbon) when stacking 7" singles mainly on my 1214 (these 7" singles were exclusively designed to be stacked). I feel that the tri-point stacking system that the Garrard Lab 80 and most? Duals since the mid 60's? is much gentler, as the records descend on a cushion of air (they still 'slide' against each other when they land though so care must be taken in cleaning), but as LP's can be difficult to replace now, I'd never do this now, sorry...

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 26 Jun 2019 21:05

My Garrard's never clattered and you should see the enlarged holes of my 1950's records I played on my mothers 45 changer.

If a record is played often enough, evidence of that can be seen around the hole regardless of what it was played on. I don't think people have perfect aim even with a single play. The three fingers of a Dual (or Elac) leave their mark on paper labels too.

Nature of the beast and doesn't bother me.

Just saying a Garrard multi-play spindle will function after decades of non-use but a Dual won't. Or more specifically AW2's won't. Not even when NOS. I've got two of those - rubber bits rattling around inside the box.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 08 Jul 2019 09:26

And now there's a Lenco L75 on that auction place and no-one is bidding.... Somebody stop me!

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 08 Jul 2019 12:50

WAIT!!

You need to study how to service the main bearing (some have slop and others don't and slop is not good). Motor and drive the same, although the motor is a superb low vibration type with usually excellent bearings. The idler should be the metal type I gather rather than the plastic hub version, although I'm informed the latter type can have the rubber wedge 'tyre' replaced with a modern o ring which sorts it for rumble/drive noise.

The L75 tonearm is unfairly thought of as the pits. I find that attention to the V blocks, maybe minimising/tying up the springy counterweight extension with cotton thread in the gap improves things a little and the high mass isn't an issue any more for many good modern cartridges. The internal wires can't easily be got at (they're similar to the previous Dual thin twin coax cables as used up to the 1229 generation - not 1229Q) but most may be ok still. I'd replace the external signal cables though with something like Van Damme XKE or Pro Patch for ease of soldering.

Get one of these right and it's delightful, the standard mat giving a sense of 'propulsion' to the music, which is a colouration really, but who cares with vinyl!.

Tell you something though. I have a stash of decks now, many gifted to me, but nothing is replacing my Dual 701 in the main system unless I'm given a Notts Analogue or upwards... and even then, the 701 is so damned good, even if the sonic picture is slightly 'smaller' than a 'super oil rig' turntable confection...