1229 Main Lever - badly roughed up

twice the fun
Dual Wielding
Australia

1229 Main Lever - badly roughed up

Post by Dual Wielding » 03 Jun 2019 03:50

After figuring how to take off the main lever, on inspection I think I have found a likely culprit for why the tone arm on my TT isn't moving properly.

Have a look here at the friction plate .. https://imgur.com/a/ASqqqtA

It looks like a previous owner has attempted to rough up the plate, quite likely for the same problem that I am currently trying to fix. I think that they've gone way overboard and have excessively scratched the plate, probably using a power tool of some kind. To the naked eye there seems to be very subtle pits with varying depths. I couldn't quite capture it with my camera but it's a little more evident to the naked eye. The image with the red outline is my attempt to put a border around all the pitted spots. You can sort of see various series of scratches which look like individual passes made with a tool. Each pass, I think, has a slightly different depth to it. This seems to be a likely reason for the steuerpimpel to start and stop moving.

I'm assuming I'll have to get some sandpaper or a dremel or something and try to make everything flatter, correct?

Or would putting grease on the plate possibly even things out?

Or is this plate too damaged and needs to be replaced?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: 1229 Main Lever - badly roughed up

Post by mrow2 » 03 Jun 2019 06:02

This surface is guaranteed to turn any decent steuerpimpel into dust and dirt flecks. It needs to be made smooth again, but also it needs to be done evenly. Really, the area of concern is the steuerpimpel path which is in the right hand side of the main lever plate. The person hadn't a clue what makes these things work correctly and should never be allowed to enter a fine china shoppe. That area would need to be even and smooth, and then a new surface sandblasted on it. I would use gentle strokes of a 200 to 400 grit emery paper in lieu of that, with (as we look at your lever) an even, vertical pattern left to right. Don't know if the lever can be salvaged or not. Possibly so.

Dual Wielding
Australia

Post by Dual Wielding » 03 Jun 2019 13:59

Some good news .. I think

I asked my old man to smooth out the friction plate because he has good skills with this kind of stuff. It looks to me like he did a good job ..

https://imgur.com/a/AxpUqAv

The old gouges are evened out and the plate has a good smoothness. Even though you can see hatching lines there still, the plate is smooth to the touch.

What do you think?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 03 Jun 2019 17:43

It might now be ok to use just as it is, no further sanding. Personally, I might sand it evenly with a fine grit paper just to take the edges off any remaining machining but it might be that your dad already did something like that.

guuus

Post by guuus » 04 Jun 2019 00:13

I think it looks good. But I think the idea is to sand perpendicular to the path that the steurpimpel travels. Right now you can see the sanding lines in the same direction. Not sure if it will make any difference. Also the suggestions say to put just a little of albabia in the pimple.

If that does not solve the problem with the arm moving smoothly it can be that the pimple is riding to high. Since it seems the table was improperly serviced it could be also that the guide (201) is not riding the black plastic guide (232) in the protecting plate.