1228 motor weak

twice the fun
Studio59

1228 motor weak

Post by Studio59 » 01 Jun 2019 22:22

I have a 1228 acting up...the SM400 motor runs but is failing to drive the platter any longer. It seems very loose as the top cup is clearly worn. The tire seems ok. I noticed that there is a little rust and corrosion-anyone having more experience with these motors can offer their suggestions? I see it needs a Pimpel as well as some cleaning and lubing. How much play should be in the motor pulley? arrrggg

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: 1228 motor weak

Post by mrow2 » 02 Jun 2019 01:01

There should not be any side-to-side play, but most of the wear is usually in the lower bearing. The motor is probably bone dry but it should be taken apart (at least the lower parts) and examined, then make some decisions. If the shaft is not actually loose in the bearings, maybe a servicing and tightening of things might help. There are lots of clues for excessive wear; the plating on the shaft and the condition of the bottom end of the rotor / armature. It should be round and plated, not bare and worn, for instance. The top bearing is not usually taken apart. I wonder if somehow the bearing is loose inside of the bearing cup (the cup itself is not the bearing). These are sintered bushings and they retain a supply of light oil until some point in time when they go dry; then excessive wear is possible.

Studio59

Post by Studio59 » 02 Jun 2019 01:23

Hi, sure do appreciate your reply. I haven't gotten into these motors much, so I am a bit at a loss. Can the pulley be raised slightly on the shaft to compensate for wear to the idle tire? This seems reasonable? The motor is definitely dry as can be, so I'm going to clean and lube the bearings, try that and see...thanks!

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 02 Jun 2019 02:50

Yes the pulley can be adjusted, but that motor needs servicing right away. Study the motor service guide available here, not the same Dual motor but the parts are similar and service principles are the same.