Once again: aftermarket 10xx headshell causes problems

twice the fun
pwreimers

Once again: aftermarket 10xx headshell causes problems

Post by pwreimers » 03 May 2019 21:43

Recently, I purchased an aftermarket Dual 1015 (+others) headshell, the second I've bought. The first came from patsaudioparts on Ebay and caused severe damage to the tonearm. A writeup titled "Dual 1015/1019 Aftermarket Headshell Problems" details this problem.

This second one comes from bestaudioparts. I hesitated to purchase based on my prior experience, but finally did to mount my Empire 888PE.

Once again, the product misses an important feature of the original Dual headshell. This time it's the relief cut in the top that allows the rotating engagement lever to clear the headshell and allows the top surface of the headshell to sit flat on the underside of the tonearm assembly. Lacking this cut relief, the headshell sits off-angle on the tonearm.

Without the relief cut, the tonearm handle (rotating lever) is squeezed between the topside of the headshell and the tonearm underside surface.

I took some measurements. The relief depth on the original is ~0.6mm; the handle/lever measures ~1.15mm thick. This means the interference is ~0.55mm. Since the width of the headshell is ~20mm, simple geometry puts the tilt of the carrier around 3 degrees relative to the tonearm assembly.

Above: there is no gap whatsoever on the original.

Above: there is a ~0.45mm gap.

This lack of a relief tilts the carrier and (once again) stresses the tonearm lever pivot pin.

The effect of this tilt: the stylus contacts one side of the groove at 48 degrees and the other at 42.

The repair is much easier for this oversight than the part made by patsaudio. Using a Dremel bit with flat-bottom cutting teeth, chuck up the headshell with shims (not too tight!), cut away about 0.5mm of material.

My trimming resulted in this:

I would like the suppliers to pay better attention to detail. Out of a sample size of two products, both are made incorrectly. This means they probably sell other substandard products.

Again, I have to conclude that the aftermarket manufacturers of Dual headshells (cartridge carriers) are supplying substandard and damaging products to those of us who have 1010, 1015 and 1019 (and some 1009) turntables.

Regards,
Pete

analoged

Re: Once again: aftermarket 10xx headshell causes problems

Post by analoged » 03 May 2019 23:58

My advice,always exhaust all possibilities of obtaining OEM parts.This holds true for cars,motorcycles and most all consumer goods also.Sad but true...
https://www.turntableneedles.com/DUAL-T ... p_737.html

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 04 May 2019 09:20

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the issues you encountered with the various aftermarket headshells! =D>

Once I saw your fix for the one in yellow, it was easy to see the design flaw. #-o

Hopefully they pay attention and modify their design to fix that flaw.

tep392
United States of America

Post by tep392 » 25 Sep 2019 21:05

analoged wrote:
03 May 2019 23:58
My advice,always exhaust all possibilities of obtaining OEM parts.This holds true for cars,motorcycles and most all consumer goods also.Sad but true...
https://www.turntableneedles.com/DUAL-T ... p_737.html
Yep. Buying aftermarket parts from my 70 Mustang was a real crapshoot. I remember buying driver and passenger side armrest pads and one was a full inch longer than the other and had different textures.