Looking for a Dual 1019 cartridge holder

twice the fun
pwreimers

Re: Looking for a Dual 1019 cartridge holder

Post by pwreimers » 03 May 2019 22:41

Solist wrote:
26 Apr 2019 19:09
Lets add more complexity to the job regarding the use of the soldering iron. Is there any chance to solder together a broken connector? I bent it once too much and it gave up where the hole for attaching them is punched..

Eh I gladly give them all the conundrums. Its a solid turntable, quite literally, except for these holders. But as you said 50+ year old turntable. And its the only problem that I had so far, apart from getting those copper plates for the motor.
Solist: I've repaired many Dual 10xx headshells. Some have broken wires and some the finger contact has come loose. Of those repairs, the loose finger is easiest: just place the finger in it's correct location and use a solder iron to remelt the plastic, making a 'hat' over the finger. Just be sure to hold the finger contact in the location you want it to set into.

Soldering broken wires...another matter altogether.

Good luck,
Pete

pwreimers

Post by pwreimers » 03 May 2019 22:58

Solist wrote:
23 Apr 2019 15:46
So my cartridge holder recently started to show signs of age. Tried to fix the pins but with limited success. ...

...I have seen the new injection molded holders but they ship from the USA, but it will take at least 2 weeks for those to arrive, and 2 weeks is a long time to be without a working turntable.

Much appreciated.
Hey, Solist: if you please, tell the 'fix the pins' story a bit. I'd like some information before I tell my experiences further.

Re: injection molded and '3D' aftermarket holders, they have problems. Both have them with the engagement feature and you'll have to modify their part. Outside of that, their pin feature is good, so are their wiring and contacts.

See: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 7&t=111809 and https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 37&t=95968

Pete

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 28 May 2019 08:40

Good news.

After visiting more than a couple shops I could not find a suitable replacement connector.

Then I have decided to take the broken connector to a repair shop, and asked if they could try to fix it. The person working there managed to repair it, using 2 wires as a backbone on top of the connector and then soldered everything together.
dual pin repair.png
(21.3 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Then I switched the connectors, so that the repaired one is now used for ground, and the good one for the audio path. Additionally I used a bit of epoxy to make sure the broken connector has a bit more mechanical strength.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 28 May 2019 17:45

These things are used in the computer world, breadboard experimenting, everything else. Nice repair though! They would definitely be available from another nearby EU country, maybe one of the German electronics outfits and I know there are some in Sweden.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 01 Jun 2019 19:42

mrow2 wrote:
28 May 2019 17:45
These things are used in the computer world, breadboard experimenting, everything else. Nice repair though! They would definitely be available from another nearby EU country, maybe one of the German electronics outfits and I know there are some in Sweden.
I will check on the German sites. I dont have paypal so bank transfer is the main option, which is less and less common.

So far the repair is holding well. Didn't have any issues so far, and the connection feels more than rigid. There was a slight increase in hum, but non noticeable from the listening position.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 02 Jun 2019 05:02

I think the repair should be ok until you can come across some of these little connectors.