Looking for a Dual 1019 cartridge holder

twice the fun
Solist
Slovenia

Looking for a Dual 1019 cartridge holder

Post by Solist » 23 Apr 2019 15:46

So my cartridge holder recently started to show signs of age. Tried to fix the pins but with limited success. They hold contact for a couple of minutes and then they need to be repaired again. And then after a couple of removals I managed to break the stylus... [-o<

Tried to look at ebay and such sites, but mostly they are in pretty bad shape.

Then I have seen the new injection molded holders but they ship from the USA, but it will take at least 2 weeks for those to arrive, and 2 weeks is a long time to be without a working turntable.

Is there any other place where I can get these holders from? I would prefer to order from the EU, mainly because of postage time.

Much appreciated.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Looking for a Dual 1019 cartridge holder

Post by Hugues TR4 » 23 Apr 2019 19:42

Try Dualfred in Germany. Maybe they can help you.
Good luck!

Hugh.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 23 Apr 2019 20:05

Thank you! I wrote him a message, hope he can help me out.

Worst case scenario, I have to plan a small trip for a backup 1019!

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 24 Apr 2019 01:05

I would just bite the bullet and get one on the way from one of the reproduction vendors. Trouble with the old ones is that nearly all of them need extensive servicing, or at least they have weak/tarnished wires and connectors. But if Dualfred has new old stock that would be great.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Apr 2019 02:05

Just remember that the same sled that works for the 1019 will also work on the 1015F, 1009F and 1009SK...Sometimes, the same sled will be listed for one of THOSE other Dual models...Still, it's nice that they're so versatile! :D

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 24 Apr 2019 13:46

Got the answer this morning. Sadly he does not have any suitable headshell in stock.

I know, and I will order a couple from the USA, its just that the shipping time + all the import taxes etc, means that for 2 headshells my wallet get 95€ lighter... For the same money I can go and pick another 1019. Seems to be in good condition overall, and it would be nice to have another one as a backup turntable.

If anyone has these new holders, do they weight the same as the originals? They seem to have a bit more mass to them.

Thank you for the tip, I know that some of the headshells are interchangeable, but what exactly is the difference between all the models? There are a lot of slightly different holders. My is marked as TK113. It has that blue dot next to the connectors.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 25 Apr 2019 23:02

Once you have two nice carriers, especially since you love the 1019, you'll be happy you have something which works. The TK113 designation you indicated has me stumped. I Googled it, found one for sale that would be suitable for a 12xx series turntable, not a 1019. The 1019 carrier/holder is (AFAIK) a TK12. The TK113 I found is this:
TK113 ebay seller a.jpg
(60.9 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
The TK12 I believe fits 1019 looks like this:
TK12-Carrier [c].jpg
(100.4 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
The new after-market variety of course have the improved button-contacts and new wires.

Seems like there would have been a few of these old ones available from EU sellers; I saw a few here at reasonable prices but as I said (and you also noted), they are in sort of sad shape usually need some work.... to make them work. To be expected after 50-some years in existence.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 26 Apr 2019 09:28

Thank you for taking the time to investigate mrow2, much appreciated!
WP_20190426_10_08_42_Pro.jpg
(127.8 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
I know, its strange, I have only seen 1 seller selling this type of cartridge. They all appear to have some slight variations, is it possible that the tk xxx was a combined cartridge+stylus code name? It looks almost the same to the tk12 except that the middle connector on mine is rotated by 180 degrees, and that metal plate is extending over the whole surface of the holder, so without the cutout. Other than that it looks the same.

I tried yesterday to attempt a last repair and it worked, for a couple of hours. I had to glue the pins on the holder with epoxy. Something id rather not do but now they at least seem to be holding in place.

I certainly have to order those new ones, since all the attempts of repairing the connectors came at the expense of bending a Jico stylus.. #-o

But just to clarify my problem. 1 or maybe more of the pins appear to make poor contact. The right speaker has no sound, when touching a metal knob on the amp you can also hear it through the speaker. Turning the volume up, the right speaker start to distort slightly. It certainly is a problem on the silver connectors on the headshell, the wires from the cartridge still seem to be holding well.

I figured it was the connector attached to the red wire causing the problems, but is there anything more to it that I am missing?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 26 Apr 2019 18:53

They can be repaired and I wrote a lot about it in my PDF Guide before replacements became available. It requires a technique and the use of a fine low watt solder iron tip. It's fairly low wages to do the job, but the repairs can be good.
Yes the TK113 label clearly refers to a cartridge/carrier combo, i.e. a Dual 1019 cart holder (TK12) variation married to a cart. First time I've ever seen the same designation for two different carrier design eras. Dual were not always the best at creating model and part numbering schemes. i.e., the 1009 et al conundrum and a host of other things.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 26 Apr 2019 19:09

Lets add more complexity to the job regarding the use of the soldering iron. Is there any chance to solder together a broken connector? I bent it once too much and it gave up where the hole for attaching them is punched..

Eh I gladly give them all the conundrums. Its a solid turntable, quite literally, except for these holders. But as you said 50+ year old turntable. And its the only problem that I had so far, apart from getting those copper plates for the motor.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 27 Apr 2019 00:37

You'd be better off looking for a little connector kit -- the online sellers sometimes have 4 wire kits with cartridge sized connectors; you might be able to get a small bag of computer connectors which work on the cartridge pins. I cannot recall the description on the small pin connector bag I purchased in a computer department but for little projects like this it's useful to have some. They are not exactly the same as vintage, but close enough that they work. The plating on them is good for computers, and would be fine in HiFi.

Wonder if there's an eB vendor who offers a little kit of wires, connectors and headshell screws/nuts. That would be useful for a lot of people to have. But fixing one of those dodgy Dual pin connectors is really a reach - solder won't provide enough backbone for it. Cannot solder direct to the cartridge, that's absolutely forbidden.

What's the local electronics and computer shopp story in Ljubljana? (I looked at a video, very nice city indeed!) Stuff like this would for sure be available from a lot of population centers in EU.
Found this at the eB site, they are essentially the same I believe.
Computer and Phono pin conn.JPG
(176.91 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 27 Apr 2019 10:11

I will try and show the cartridge to a couple of electronic stores, maybe they have something that would be suitable to use. Electronic and computer shops are a bit hard to find in my area, although I live in the capital.

I cant think of any shop that would be specialized towards audio that would sell electronic parts. I checked on the local audio forum a couple of times, and they all order electronics from mouser, digikey etc. Then there is Conrad, and a couple of small shops, but its really hard to find anything.

It would be a wise move to sell those kits, although probably would just buy a new cartridge I imagine. They are quite affordable, the only problem being they ship from the USA (in my country when they calculate how much to add to imported items they charge the shipping also, so basically add 20% to the original price+ shipping).

Maybe would be a better idea to try to make the copper discs for the motor and possibly a new thrust bearing for the platter. Those would sell well I imagine.

It is a really nice city, small capital 280,000 people, and half of those are students, so you will have no trouble finding coffee shops, I think we have more coffee shops than any other european capital if you take into account the population of the city.

Its worth stopping during the summer, there are many overlapping music/art festivals taking on the streets/avenues so the whole city becomes a concert stage for the whole summer :)

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 28 Apr 2019 19:18

Sounds really nice!! I just find it hard to believe that somewhere there isn't an electronics/computer supply/widget shoppe which offers PC parts (between two or three coffee shops). In those stores, the pins come in a similar small bag, are for attaching the thin wires to motherboard and breadboard pins and the like, light-gold plated, a bit pricey but not too expensive. They can be modified to resemble the ones needed for cartridge pins, and take solder nicely.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 28 Apr 2019 20:25

mrow2 wrote:
25 Apr 2019 23:02
Once you have two nice carriers, especially since you love the 1019, you'll be happy you have something which works. The TK113 designation you indicated has me stumped. I Googled it, found one for sale that would be suitable for a 12xx series turntable, not a 1019. The 1019 carrier/holder is (AFAIK) a TK12. The TK113 I found is this:
TK113 ebay seller a.jpg

The TK12 I believe fits 1019 looks like this:
TK12-Carrier [c].jpg
The new after-market variety of course have the improved button-contacts and new wires.

Seems like there would have been a few of these old ones available from EU sellers; I saw a few here at reasonable prices but as I said (and you also noted), they are in sort of sad shape usually need some work.... to make them work. To be expected after 50-some years in existence.
I may try this one for my 1246. I have another cartridge I'd like to mount.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 02 May 2019 17:01

mrow2 wrote:
28 Apr 2019 19:18
Sounds really nice!! I just find it hard to believe that somewhere there isn't an electronics/computer supply/widget shoppe which offers PC parts (between two or three coffee shops). In those stores, the pins come in a similar small bag, are for attaching the thin wires to motherboard and breadboard pins and the like, light-gold plated, a bit pricey but not too expensive. They can be modified to resemble the ones needed for cartridge pins, and take solder nicely.
Thank you for the suggestion and apologies for the late reply. I will try and ask around if I can get those pins. I am currently on vacation so will check next week and report back. Much appreciated!