Dual 1237 not delivering the best audio

twice the fun
Tazzybehr

Re: Dual 1237 not delivering the best audio

Post by Tazzybehr » 02 Jun 2019 06:41

mrow2 wrote:
09 May 2019 06:44
Very good, glad it's all doing better. Very much doubt the 78 stylus wrongly packaged or sent was intentional. It was simply a packaging mistake. There's no gain for them to be intentionally doing that in order to dump incorrectly matched product. You also mentioned obtaining a DJ-quality cartridge and stylus down the line. (Automotive metaphor: a large off-road vehicle, the meanest tires and suspension available, but being driven exclusively on nice, smooth road surfaces; and the resulting ride hard as rocks). For a few hundred there definitely are some nice cartridges though.

That first set of cables must have been really bad.

I borrowed this Audio Technica image of their new VM670SP dedicated 78rpm cartridge stylus. 3 mil conical!
The cables had all blackened (weird, I didn't know shielded audio cables, or any cable for that matter could oxidize, but he showed me the old cables peeled back an inch to expose the wiring, and they were discoloured. The jacks had virtually no finish left on them either. Changing the cables took out that 60hz hum I could faintly hear, and cleaned up the sound. the correct stylus certainly gave clarity back to the sound.

I contacted the vendor I bought the mistaken for 78RPM cartridge from, they immediately swapped it out for the correct one. Guess I need to stop seeing smoke where no fire exists. Thanks for setting me straight on that. I really appreciate it.

Tazzybehr

Post by Tazzybehr » 02 Jun 2019 06:47

DSJR wrote:
09 May 2019 12:12
The VM95E enjoys an even better performance than the evergreen AT95E did and for many, it's all that's needed (see German Lowbeats review with measurements - you'll need a browser-translator). Better styli available too.

Well, after reading your reply; I spent some time comparing different cartridges. the VM95E (VERY close in performance to the AT95E) kept coming up as the best value.

It's on it's way. I should be getting it in a few days. I plan on installing it on one of my two cartridge sleds, and using it only for my "good" records. My "regular" (read well loved and snap,crackle poppin' with each groove played) will be played with my Shure M93E.

Thank you for the kind advice. I'll let you know what I get in terms of sound once I have it installed and playing. Until then, have a great day, and thanks again!

Dave.

Tazzybehr

Post by Tazzybehr » 08 Jun 2019 03:46

Well, I got the Audio Technica VM95E as was very kindly suggested by DSJR. Here's what I have observed with the sound quality vs my Shure M93E.

I STILL am not getting those trumpets and saxaphones blaring through my speakers. I am now just eyeballing the receiver as the culprit, as with this receiver on different speakers, that element was muted as well.

What I am getting in exchange....a GREAT balance of treble and bass. The vocals were so clean I literally had to listen once, twice, three, five times to believe the difference between what was and what is. I'm hearing instruments now I didn't know where there. I'm hearing nuances in the vocals I missed hearing over the years of owning my albums. I'm hearing subtle goodness chiming through where once there was less than perfect delivery (and I never even knew it). All this from a 70 dollar cartridge.

Unfortunately, I can also hear the ticks and pops a lot better now too...LOL. I mean, my Johnny Mathis album was released in 1959, I guess ticks and pops are part of that experience as well. I just pretend they recorded a fireplace, and it's all good.

OK, this is my last entry (outside of replying if any at all) on this subject. Thank you all. I finally crossed the finish line, and my music will never be the same.

Awesome bunch of people here.