Help Putting New RCAs on a 1241!

twice the fun
JJCalvillo
United States of America

Help Putting New RCAs on a 1241!

Post by JJCalvillo » 23 Feb 2019 06:59

Recently acquired a 1241, fixed the steuerpimpel and really like the turntable. Put my "acid test" record on it that has a warp that cause skips on a Pioneer PL-41 and a Denon DP-30L, and the Dual played right over it. =D>

Only problem is a hum that is predominately in the right channel. I've cleaned the contact on the cartridge, plugs, and small board that lives in the clamshell. Cleaned the RCAs. Don't see any breaks or bad solders. Decided to try putting new RCAs on it and went to the local audio dealer for cables. The suggested Stellarlabs SLV RCA cables (see photo).
RCAs.JPG
(97.95999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
These are the RCAs I was going to put on but the wires are in the same jacket. The short pieces of black insulation came from the grounds on the original RCAs so they wouldn't get lost. Pretend those are bare copper.

When I went to snip the old RCAs I noticed that the wire and the ground were both insulated, and that the wire and ground on the new RCAs WERE NOT. This doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone know whether the new cables have to have the wire and the ground individually insulated?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Help Putting New RCAs on a 1241!

Post by mrow2 » 23 Feb 2019 08:03

I'm really not clear on what you have and what you are asking. I do not believe the signal cables should have a shield around them, as the one in the photo does. If it works well and the capacitance is good, then you are set. The ones I am familiar with don't have the shield directly around the signal (middle) wires. The outside wire is normally separated from the center wire by the center wire sheath (which is not separately shielded like it seems to be in the photo). Each channel has one outside (copper) shield mesh and one inside signal wire; the outside wire is the shield mesh (ground) for the signal wire. If that's what you have, it should be ok. For an inexpensive fix, you're always safe to use original Dual cables with new RCA ends if necessary, and cleanly soldered or plugged in to jacks under the deck.

I presume the store knows what you need, but your description is a bit confusing. Also, Just because you have a cable with RCA ends on it does not mean it can work with phono levels. You'd have been safe using good quality cables from a non-working 1975 and up in your Dual, for instance a 1978 or 1990 Technics or Sony model, those would work well. New cables from a cable supplier (for instance, Blue Jeans Cables) can work nicely and can be ordered in pre-determined lengths or as cable without the end-connectors. It's usually not advisable to use cables which were originally supplied with cassette machines, tuners, CD players or other similar high level sources, they do not necessarily have the best shielding for low level phono signals. Presumably your store sold something that is correct for phono-level audio.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 23 Feb 2019 09:21

I'd need to see more of this turntable.

JJCalvillo
United States of America

Post by JJCalvillo » 23 Feb 2019 20:45

Guys, thanks for the replies. Embarrassed to report that I was mistaking the foil wrapping for the actual wire (old eyes) and this morning figured out that the silver was actually foil with an insulated line inside.

Everything is now outta....errr, under control.