Tone Arm Problems on 1249

twice the fun
Dadrepus

Tone Arm Problems on 1249

Post by Dadrepus » 22 Feb 2019 19:27

Now that my pop is gone I can try to find out why the tonearm does not return to rest when hitting stop and why the needle does not seem to follow the groove of the record. It just stays in one place. Start functions as it should. Pimple is brand new. It has been greased as per the manual. I have increased the weight to the new cart to 3 grams just to see if there would be movement. Alas no. Don't want to mess with the bearings if I don't have to. Anybody have any suggestions?

scorpio333

Re: Tone Arm Problems on 1249

Post by scorpio333 » 22 Feb 2019 20:31

DO NOT force the Single Multi switch!! Spend some time searching for threads about "dearing". That will get you pointed in the right direction. Hopefully the dearing is intact, confirm that before trying anything else.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 22 Feb 2019 21:06

Haven't even thought about moving the multi switch. It looks like you are telling me that I will have to disassemble the tonearm to see if the dearing is broken. Damn was hoping I could avoid that.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 22 Feb 2019 21:30

Hi,
If you push down or pull up the arm suspension (dearing ring-item 54) gently with one finger, it should have a very slight vertical displacement /movement.
The 1249 has a very similar set up for multi/single switching as the 1219/1229 has, but the key pieces of the arm are easier to fix if the Multi Single lift is broken.

First, and always on any Dual with arm movement problems, do a bearing test:
Vertical test:
1. Set arm for zero tracking force and zero antiskate force.
2. Balance arm perfectly (perhaps without stylus for safety) .
3. * Place arm between platter and rest post, so it can descent. *
4. Drop a stamp on the head (over cartridge).
Arm must descent all the way for the 1200 series, most of the way for 1000 series with tk 12 headshells and at least lower somewhat for 1009, the lower, the better obviously...
If arm moves without hesitation then vertical bearings are ok.
*Note: for the 1219/1229/1229Q, there is a rubber bridge mounted left of and into the rest post, pivoting on a chrome shaft. This rubber bridge can be shifted/removed to enable a proper vertical test.

Horizontal test:
1. Balance arm as before (no stylus-no stamp...)
2. Apply 0.5 anti-skate on any side of the Anti Skate dial under the tone arm.
3. Bring arm towards center of record.
4. Let arm go.
Arm must return all the way back to rest post without hesitation.
If arm moves without hesitation, then horizontal bearings are ok.
That's it for the test.

Here we are concerned with the horizontal test primarily. Should it fail, then:
a Make sure the arm was set up correctly for the test (balanced, not in cycling mode..)
b if arm is binding, check aligning procedure page 13, Fig 23 and reduce cue height (knob 66)
c if the M/S test on top failed and dearing ring is too sloppy, check to see if sleeve 57 is tight on 54- it can get loose..
d if 57 is tight, check if 221 is out of alignment AFTER verifying that O ring 242 is pliable. Align 221/228 to clear segment 240 in both single and multi settings.
e check if 59 is broken (arm will not hold steady vertically in either single of multi position. If so, change 59. %9 is available here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/QMEJ4 ... arketplace
Regards,
k

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 07 Mar 2019 20:17

Sorry I took so long to get back to this, life happened.

"Horizontal test:
1. Balance arm as before (no stylus-no stamp...)
2. Apply 0.5 anti-skate on any side of the Anti Skate dial under the tone arm.
3. Bring arm towards center of record.
4. Let arm go.
Arm must return all the way back to rest post without hesitation.
If arm moves without hesitation, then horizontal bearings are ok.
That's it for the test."

Arm failed to come back for horizontal test, vertical test was great. I am going to try the suggestions you have given and will get back to you. What I did notice was arm hardly made it half way and it felt stiff. I tried loosening the top bearing just a little but that really did nothing appreciable to the performance so I put it back as accurately as I could.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 11 Mar 2019 21:00

Tried the horizontal test and it seemed to work so I looked at your other suggestions. Don't know what I did but the arm NOW at least come back to rest in auto mode when manually brought to the finish of a record. It did not do that before.
Here we are concerned with the horizontal test primarily. Should it fail, then:
a Make sure the arm was set up correctly for the test (balanced, not in cycling mode..)
b if arm is binding, check aligning procedure page 13, Fig 23 and reduce cue height (knob 66)
Tried that. No effect.
c if the M/S test on top failed and dearing ring is too sloppy, check to see if sleeve 57 is tight on 54- it can get loose..
d if 57 is tight, check if 221 is out of alignment AFTER verifying that O ring 242 is pliable. Align 221/228 to clear segment 240 in both single and multi settings.
e check if 59 is broken (arm will not hold steady vertically in either single of multi position. If so, change 59. %9 is available here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/QMEJ4 ... arketplace
- link goes to an OOPs page.

What do you mean by vertically? I did notice if I set the arm to be level with the platter and I switch the arm from single play to multi-play ( with that lever-moves easily) the front of the tonearm drops down, it is now out of balance. Is this what you mean. if I must disassemble is this done primarily from the top or bottom? Or both?

Never mind...Iread the directions and understand them...Oh well. hope I can get that part.