Turntable mat on a Dual 1218

twice the fun
MrKrux

Turntable mat on a Dual 1218

Post by MrKrux » 20 Feb 2019 19:52

Does anyone use a turntable mat on a Dual 1218 (or similar)? The platter is a little smaller than an LP so I would assume that turntable mats are intended for it. I have been using an acrylic mat on mine and it seems to work great. Just wondering if I am hurting the turntable or missing out on better sound.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Turntable mat on a Dual 1218

Post by Spinner45 » 20 Feb 2019 21:12

I don't know why anyone would use a plastic disk in place of a pliable rubber/neoprene mat that was put on there from the factory.
The natural properties of a rubber mat to damp vibration, ringing, and noise to me are more important than an internet-driven bunch of hype about acrylic.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Feb 2019 22:28

On the smaller platter models the slight portion of the LP overhanging the edge of the platter won't have any effect on the way the record plays and sounds.

You don't need to put any mat on top of the factory one.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 21 Feb 2019 07:47

Agree - no extra mat needed, and it certainly looks more like the piece of art that it is, with just the factory original

MrKrux

Post by MrKrux » 21 Feb 2019 21:12

mrow2 wrote:
21 Feb 2019 07:47
Agree - no extra mat needed, and it certainly looks more like the piece of art that it is, with just the factory original
It does look better without any kind of mat.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 22 Feb 2019 12:14

mrow2 wrote:
21 Feb 2019 07:47
PLEASE chaps, don't listen with your eyes!

What is a vintage Dual to you all, a museum piece to be visually admired, or a tool to get music off records?

Dual mats in audiophool terms were absolute pants up until the 505-2 fitted a solid flat mat, offering only edge support with hard rubber 'rings' and leaving the disc centre totally unsupported. I don't expect any of you to care about this really, but with more modern 2g tracking cartridges, supporting the LP better *can* make a positive difference to the reproduced sound quality and the better the cartridge, the bigger the difference can appear to be.

If you don't accept what I say above, then please carry on as you are (you lot probably will anyway). I use cork mats on top of the Dual ones because they're cheap and because some rumbles and grumbles can be slightly reduced through the speakers (Dual decks aren't especially quiet in background passages apart from the direct driven models - compare a 601 with 701 and you'll IMMEDIATELY hear what I'm on about).

Getting a 10.5" 'mat' will be nigh on impossible though. I use cork a lot 'cos it's cheap and the 701 plays host to a Notts analogue 'Spacemat' which is a very dense foam type that takes ages to reform if it's 'squidged.' tap a playing record while playing to hear what happens, as properly supporting an LP you get much reduced boom or thudding noise. Not needed with a hard mat, but with the cork and Spacemat I use these underneath (I don't like felt) -

gallery/image/39536

To the OP, if you feel the music is better with the acrylic mat, then go right ahead :D

P.S. Martin Colloms did many tests in the 80's on the effects of record support and how background noise can be modified in response and amount.