Tonearm won't reset after record is done

twice the fun
mikethompson1981

Tonearm won't reset after record is done

Post by mikethompson1981 » 19 Feb 2019 14:00

help guys!

My Dual 601 recently developed a strange issue.

When the album side is done, the Tone arm lifts and moves to this position, not quite where it should be:
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blo ... 00x450.jpg

but, if the record is playing and I hit stop, it goes to the proper position just fine. I should note that the steuerpimpel has been replaced.

Any clues?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Tonearm won't reset after record is done

Post by mrow2 » 19 Feb 2019 23:03

Be sure pimpel is pressed all the way onto the mounting pin, and that its contact with the main lever paddle is flat and smooth. There should be a very thin smear of Alvania there, but not a lot. Less is better. Take a look at the upper steuerpimpel and be sure it is not in some way retarding horizontal movement. It's possible a very minor adjustment as per the service manual might be in order, but don't make wild adjustments on anything. You can look up the postage stamp test for the tonearm and perform that.

mikethompson1981

Post by mikethompson1981 » 20 Feb 2019 12:47

Thanks very much.

It just seems odd that it was working perfectly for so long with the new pimpel and then this issue randomly appears.

Guess I will take it apart again ...

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 21 Feb 2019 18:46

Anyone else have an idea? I am wondering about the friction between plate and upper pimpel (210). What is the condition of it? Have you performed the postage stamp test on the tonearm just to be certain it has good horizontal
action?
601 arm complete aa.JPG
(32.69 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

mikethompson1981

Post by mikethompson1981 » 21 Feb 2019 19:31

I haven't taken it apart again, no. I've googled 'postage stamp tone arm test' and nothing comes up. Well there is a postage stamp test, but for another issue.

I've also lost sound again in one of the channels. I thought it had it remedied with snug fitting replacement RCA cords, but I guess not.

This is getting a little more than I have the time or skill set for I'm afraid.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 22 Feb 2019 12:44

In the this thread the postage stamp test is described:

viewtopic.php?t=103993

It will help you test if the arm bearings and movement is ok.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 22 Feb 2019 18:54

The audio-channel issue is discussed at length in many threads here and in my own PDF guide which I think you have. I can replace it if you like, PM me your email. Look in those areas; cart holder, tiny wires, tiny crimps, contacts in the head (clean gently, no abrasive); these usually resolve those issues. New RCA leads to replace Dual's (unless there is a connection issue inside one of the RCAs) won't do much as the originals are rather good. The postage stamp test is as T68 describes, just to eliminate bearing issues mostly. This stuff is always a matter of eliminating potential culprits. ~ D

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 22 Feb 2019 22:15

Hi,
For all Dual automatics (single or multi disc) the automatic arm return is always the same mechanical movement and parts. It does not matter if the unit is triggered by end-of-play / run-out groove, or via the Stop button. Both "inputs" simply bring the cam into motion as did the "Start" command. It is therefore somewhat perplexing that you have a discrepancy in one return but not the other.
In order to make some sense, let's get to the basics first. Remove from power for all these tests.
Do an arm friction test as I just outlined here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=110281
If the arm behaves, then check if the arm binds when in travel. Go to page 13, Fig 23 and align the arm for clearance as indicated.
To be on the save side, lower the arm's cue height via 70.
With no power still, bring arm into end of play area (be careful with stylus-even better- remove...) and have the arm lift and go to rest post by hand rotating platter. If the arm still hesitates before rest post, stop rotating platter, and gently push arm towards rest post (back and forth) to see if there is a mechanical hindrance. Should you find it so, measure as close as possible as per red line:
DSC00338.JPG
(38.59 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Repeat the arm return procedure a few times and see if the hindrance is in the same spot.
Post this measurement, as I have a 601 on my work table now to see where the trouble could be.
Regards,
k

analoged

Post by analoged » 23 Feb 2019 21:51

delete------dualcan has it