Dual 1245 - starts skipping about 10 minutes in

twice the fun
yazkazoo

Dual 1245 - starts skipping about 10 minutes in

Post by yazkazoo » 14 Jan 2019 23:57

I recently got a 1245 up and running that had a bad cartridge. Finally got that taken care of, but now this:

I played a few albums that I know are scratch-free. On every one, once the album is about 10-12 minutes in, the record skips backward and continues to skip if I move the stylus further towards the center of the disc.
I verified tonearm was balanced, and weight set to 1.5 grams anti-skating set to 1.5.
When I removed the original Shure cartridge that was bad, I measured the distance of the stylus to the back of the mount, and when I mounted an Ortofon cartridge, I made sure to put it at the same distance.

Update:
The arm moves freely. I watched some YT videos about anti-skating and based on those, set anti-skating closer to 2 and it helped a little bit. But same issue -any help would be appreciated!
Thanks......Mark

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Dual 1245 - starts skipping about 10 minutes in

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Jan 2019 01:37

yazkazoo wrote:
14 Jan 2019 23:57
I recently got a 1245 up and running that had a bad cartridge. Finally got that taken care of, but now this:

I played a few albums that I know are scratch-free. On every one, once the album is about 10-12 minutes in, the record skips backward and continues to skip if I move the stylus further towards the center of the disc.
I verified tonearm was balanced, and weight set to 1.5 grams anti-skating set to 1.5.
When I removed the original Shure cartridge that was bad, I measured the distance of the stylus to the back of the mount, and when I mounted an Ortofon cartridge, I made sure to put it at the same distance.

Update:
The arm moves freely. I watched some YT videos about anti-skating and based on those, set anti-skating closer to 2 and it helped a little bit. But same issue -any help would be appreciated!
Thanks......Mark
Put the arm in balance (0 on the dial)....
Turn antiskating to "0" as well.

The arm should now float in mid air....stylus just above the turntable record/platter.
With the power unplugged, move the arm to the outer edge of the record.
Blow your breath against the side of the arm to make it move inward.
It must move all the way to the record label without binding or stopping.

If it binds, there's something wrong.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 15 Jan 2019 18:29

Hi,
Check to see if the seal on the anti skate spring is still intact:
1245 A.S.seal.jpg
(118.67 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
If it is, then carry out the test as Spinner suggested, but instead of blowing across the arm, set the balanced arm to 0.5 on the AS dial, bring arm over to the record center and let go. The tiny AS force must bring the arm all the way back.
Using the (correctly working) AS dial, applies a controlled 0.05G pressure to the floating arm. If you can reduce the AS lower, even better.
I have seen the arm move with as low as 0.1 AS applied and that with a calibrated AS system.
Regards,
k

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 15 Jan 2019 21:21

One thing not mentioned and only if the above seems fine... Check the trip mechanism, from stop lever at each end (#179) to the ball it rides on and then free movement of the trip pawls on the cam (shown but not listed separately in the exploded diagram). Any binding here (not so common on Duals but a known aspect of old unserviced Garrards...) will cause tonearm stiction and-or jamming near the end of a record side (half way through a single).

yazkazoo

Post by yazkazoo » 16 Jan 2019 15:00

Thank you all for the replies!
I performed the test that Spinner45 recommended, and the tonearm moved smoothly and freely from the outer edge to the middle. I will try dualcan & DSJR's recommendations when I get home today.

I think some background information on the turntable may be helpful....
This turntable belonged to my uncle. He bought it new, so at least 40 years ago or so.
He lived alone in a one-bedroom apartment and was a heavy smoker who never opened windows. After he passed, we cleaned out the place and everything stunk and had a yellowish sticky tinge to it. The dust cover for this was yellow. It took multiple cleanings for it to become clear again. I cleaned the surfaces of the turntable as much as possible, but did not remove the platter and dig into the inner workings. I really didn't want to take it apart in case I could not put it back together, but that may be what needs to be done. I'm sure it could use a cleaning and lubrication.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 16 Jan 2019 17:37

Hi
To help you out once you decide to get into cleaning the unit properly,
I have a restoration pictorial on my website. This link goes directly to the 1249:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Dual%20Sha ... piece%2059
Hopefully the link is working- I seem to hear of linking problems lately...
Regards,
k

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 16 Jan 2019 20:00

A suggestion regarding the heavy 20 - 40 year tobacco odor, provided me several years ago by a friend in Sweden who purchased an Ikea sofa with the same issue: A pie tin of white vinegar plus water solution in an enclosed area along with the turntable (maybe 36 - 48" away), 12-24 hrs perhaps. I've done it a couple of times. The turntables were ok and odor-free. The pan should not be immediately next to the turntable; my first effort (pan 1 shelf below the TT) peeled a little paint on the bottom cover, which I repaired. Gentle cleaning afterwards works for the cosmetic elements. I have more details on the procedure if interested. -- D

yazkazoo

Post by yazkazoo » 17 Jan 2019 15:45

Problem solved! It turns out that the tonearm was not set to drop down far enough once actually on the record. A slight adjustment and all works perfectly.
Thanks everyone for your help

yazkazoo

Post by yazkazoo » 17 Jan 2019 15:47

dualcan - the link is not working right now.

aj_chicago

Post by aj_chicago » 15 Mar 2019 21:38

Well, I'm gonna resurrect this thread because I have a similar problem/same symptom. After resetting the arm height and lift height with adjustment screw and adjustment sleve, then flipping a newly acquired 1245 over on "its back" a few times (within the plinth... wish I had a Klaus jig!) to clean, properly re-lube, add re-steurepimpel, I find that the tonearm is now sticking just in front if the proper set down for a 12" record, and if I gently push it through, it then plays and then sticks once again about half way into the record. It does not move from edge to label when free floating and blown across the record as earlier described. Sticky in same spots. Where should I start looking? Segment or something attached to it. Ah! I have not checked for a missing ball bearing 178. Have to do that.

aj_chicago

Post by aj_chicago » 16 Mar 2019 19:42

Well, I guess I'm gonna open a new thread! Lol.