Replacement head shell for Dual 1210?

twice the fun
Strangeway
Canada

Replacement head shell for Dual 1210?

Post by Strangeway » 10 Jan 2019 05:05

Hi all!

Hoping some folks here might be able to offer some recommendations. I have an Electrohome Maestro 175 hifi that is in spectacular shape. Recently I took the headshell off because I was curious about seeing what type of new cartridge I might be able to get for it, and while I was fiddling with it I snapped the solder points on two of the connections to the existing Astatic cartridge. The wires themselves are extremely fine and obviously aged, so I feel like trying to strip the casing off and reattach them could be a pain in the ass.

My question is: does anyone know somewhere that I might be able to source a replacement headshell for this turntable or... is it possible to buy a different (non-vintage) headshell that would still work on the 1210’s tonearm?

Thanks very much for any feedback.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Replacement head shell for Dual 1210?

Post by DSJR » 10 Jan 2019 12:11

Don't worry, it's the later TK14 style and loads about :D The skirt can be tapered at the sides from front to back or not there at all, but that's no issue with the cartridges I cheekily mention below -

If yours has a four pole motor (coil each side of the rotor bearings), then cartridge choice shouldn't be an issue either - thank heavens for the AT's new VM range and the Ortofon OM10/2M Red, which should offer great sonic updates over the geriatric Shures usually used in the early 70's ;)

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 10 Jan 2019 23:25

Hi,
The 1210 that Electrohome installed into its consoles would certainly not be the four pole motor variant. The 1210 tonearm is not really capable to handle a better Mag cart, as it has only one horizontal bearing race and not the two usually found in the 1212 and up. The friction on these arms was really meant for ceramic carts tracking around 3 plus grams.
I would stay away from a mag cart for this changer, especially given its age.
It would be far more economical to re attach the wires to the TK holder than getting a new one. However you can use any of these shells on the 1210 : TK 14, TK15, TK 24 and TK25.
Should you be in the Hamilton area in Mid-March, It'd be my pleasure to reconnect the cables for you, just throw me a PM
Regards,
Klaus

Strangeway
Canada

Post by Strangeway » 18 Jan 2019 01:38

The tonearm has an adjustment dial for the tracking weight. As long as I set that appropriate to the mag cart specifications (verifying with a weight scale) would it be cool to use a mag cart if I added a preamp to the signal chain?

I found a replacement headshell on eBay that is fits perfectly, but would rather use a mag cart with it if I'm able:

https://bit.ly/2szFlrs

Strangeway
Canada

Post by Strangeway » 18 Jan 2019 01:39

oh and thank you for the response guys! :)