1219 Troubles

twice the fun
Ken Arroyo

1219 Troubles

Post by Ken Arroyo » 10 Dec 2018 01:16

My 1219 began to not want to start manually. Automatic stop/start was ok. I had replaced the infamous steuerpimpel 3 or 4 years ago. At that time I also opened and serviced the motor. The rubber piece and the two ball bearings for the arm angle adjustment were replaced. So I figure it must be the long arm that goes to the motor power switch at one end and a latch up by the tone arm.
There's a screw in the center of the arm; I started to adjust the arm.
Now the auto cycle won't work, the tone arm seems a bit stiff;,it seems to back up slightly as it tries to enter auto start.
Any ideas?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: 1219 Troubles

Post by Spinner45 » 10 Dec 2018 04:45

Unless you're following the service manual, you're headed for trouble adjusting screws.
And a complete and proper service is needed (not optional) on the mechanism after 40 years.

Ken Arroyo

Post by Ken Arroyo » 18 Feb 2019 02:10

I was following the manual. It tends to be a little arcane. Anyway, it's going perfectly now. Thanks for the help.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 18 Feb 2019 11:12

When you mention a screw at the centre of the arm, I imagined botched tonearm bearings and all sorts.....

To save idiots like me from having stresses over these things I read ;) please could you refer to the part identification in the manual, so 'we' know what screw you're referring to - please?

Anyway, glad your deck's now behaving itself..

For future readers, not sure Duals go out of adjustment to require adjustments to be made, but these days, older ones do suffer grease which is turning to araldite and this will cause parts to stop sliding smoothly.