Can you please recommend leveling feet for my Dual 1229?

twice the fun
Theresse

Can you please recommend leveling feet for my Dual 1229?

Post by Theresse » 09 Oct 2018 22:06

My floors aren’t level and while I did by a kit or set of plastic leveling shims of various sizes, they don’t fit well under those small Dual feet.

Can you recommend add-on feet that aren’t too wide nor high? The Dual feet are pretty close up to the edge of the base so anything too wide will stick out awkwardly. Anything attractive would be a bonus!

Thanks so much.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Can you please recommend leveling feet for my Dual 1229?

Post by dualcan » 11 Oct 2018 03:37

Hi,
Dual turntables are not affected by levelling, they even play upside down if the platter/record is held in place.
1215 playing upside down.JPG
(136.75 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
I played this 1215 unit upside down, prior to it being repaired. The motor makes an awful noise as the bearings where shot, but the arm tracks perfectly- on a 78 rpm record!
Unfortunately I can't upload the the AVI video file here, but if you would like to see/hear it, simply send me a PM.
You really don't need to worry about levelling any Dual that has a weight counterbalanced arm and using a tracking wheel to apply the tracking force. Almost all Dual units used that system and are impervious to levelling errors. That is one of the side benefits of a dynamically balanced tone arm.
This 1215 is a low to mid level Dual, which is several levels below your 1229, so no worries whatsoever for your unit; it outperform this 1215 in spades!
Regards,
k

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Oct 2018 04:56

dualcan wrote:Hi,
Dual turntables are not affected by levelling, they even play upside down if the platter/record is held in place.
1215 playing upside down.JPG
I played this 1215 unit upside down, prior to it being repaired. The motor makes an awful noise as the bearings where shot, but the arm tracks perfectly- on a 78 rpm record!
Unfortunately I can't upload the the AVI video file here, but if you would like to see/hear it, simply send me a PM.
You really don't need to worry about levelling any Dual that has a weight counterbalanced arm and using a tracking wheel to apply the tracking force. Almost all Dual units used that system and are impervious to levelling errors. That is one of the side benefits of a dynamically balanced tone arm.
This 1215 is a low to mid level Dual, which is several levels below your 1229, so no worries whatsoever for your unit; it outperform this 1215 in spades!
Regards,
k
All that is true!, and thanks for coming back Klaus, people have missed you!
=D>

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Oct 2018 10:15

Can I just "here here" on what Spinner said?! You've been missed here on VE, Klaus, and your return is...ahem..."dual"-ly noted!! #-o :wink: Oh, and just a thought...We could probably use some new installments here, as well! :-k

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=84609&start=420

My goodness...Has it been SIX MONTHS already since the last one??? I can't believe it! :shock:

Still, whatever capacity we have you is MUCH appreciated! Klaus, you are a true treasure on VE and I hope you are much better! =D>

If you can, please fill us in a little, as I'm sure some of us have been slightly worried... 8-[

And for some odd reason, people keep buying Dual turntables! :-k

In fact, I just got my FIFTH Dual here, and I could use all the Help I can get! :roll:

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 11 Oct 2018 19:09

Put new feet on my Dual. (Rega brand)
sys_3.JPG
(90.25 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

PaulKehayas

Post by PaulKehayas » 24 Oct 2018 19:43

Welcome back Klaus!!

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 24 Oct 2018 21:59

Welcome back Klaus!! Getting back to "Feet-on-a-Dual" my take on this is that it's a cool thing to do for the sake of appearance if nothing else, and some of the choices can be appropriate for that even if they are not needed for precise leveling issues. Also the question or 3 feet vs 4; I would guess that 3 might be actually better in the sense of avoiding
the 1 short leg police-interview-chair effect.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Oct 2018 00:10

mrow2 wrote:
24 Oct 2018 21:59
Welcome back Klaus!! Getting back to "Feet-on-a-Dual" my take on this is that it's a cool thing to do for the sake of appearance if nothing else, and some of the choices can be appropriate for that even if they are not needed for precise leveling issues. Also the question or 3 feet vs 4; I would guess that 3 might be actually better in the sense of avoiding
the 1 short leg police-interview-chair effect.
I adhere to the "four foot" rule for turntables, basically anything.
A soft, pliable rubber pad at the tip resolves any "un-uniformity" issues, since the weight load will naturally adjust itself for stability.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 25 Oct 2018 08:53

Another cheap option if the surface is level enough and even - FIVE self adhesive felt pads - the ones around 1/8" thick, one on each corner and one in the centre of the often plastic? lower tray to prevent it vibrating. Works for me...