Playing “mono” records

twice the fun
Klaus65

Playing “mono” records

Post by Klaus65 » 19 Sep 2018 14:37

Hey everyone, just wondering if I can play mono records on my TT without switching carts? I have a Dual 1229 with an Ortofon OM-10 cart. Thanks!!

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Playing “mono” records

Post by josephazannieri » 19 Sep 2018 15:24

Yo Klaus65:

You can play mono records with a stereo cartridge. You will need to parallel the channels of your Ortofon cartridge. Parallelling the channels will turn that cartridge into a mono cartridge and reduce vertical rumble and other stray noise. Here is how you can do it easiy.

First, check your amplifier and see if it has a "mono" switch. Some amps have such a switch, and if yours does, then pressing it will take care of the problem.

But, if you don't have such a switch, then go to a supplier such as Amazon and buy two RCA plug "Y" adapters. Buy one that goes from 2 female jacks to one male RCA plug. Then buy another adapter that goes from one female RCA jack to two male RCA plugs. Unplug your stereo changer from your amp and plug it into the adapter with the 2 RCA female jacks. Plug the RCA plug on that adapter into the female RCA jack on the other adapter and plug the male RCA plugs on that adapter into the inputs of your amp. It will be configured like an "X". and it will get you 2 mono signals, one on each channel of your stereo amp. When you wnt to go back to stereo, just remove the adapters, and you are back the way you were.

As Sherlock Holmes once said to Dr. Watson, "Dead easy, my good man!"

And good luck from that adaptable old guy,

Joe Z.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 19 Sep 2018 15:27

AFAIK, there is no reason you couldn't play your mono microgroove (33 and 45 rpm vinyl) records with a stereo cart and stylus.
Only you will not have a stereo effect: the sound will come from the middle of the gap between your speakers.
Do not play 78's though, as the groove is different and needs an adapted needle/stylus. Most carts manufacturers produce such a stylus to fit on their cartridges.
Just avoid the very old warped, dusty and scratchy records which could present a risk for your precious stylus.
Cheers,

Hugh.

Klaus65

Post by Klaus65 » 19 Sep 2018 17:45

Thanks to you both, I think I’ll check out the cart/sled idea that Hugh mentioned. Appreciate all of the input….Cheers to you both!

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 21 Sep 2018 02:17

The new Ortofon OM1s stylus will be superb for mono. Also a great choice for a Dual application. Stylus is .7 mil conical and can easily and safely be changed on classic Ortofon OM cartridges. It tracks at 1.75 grams too. So no adjustments for OM 3, OM 5, or Omega owners. A little tracking force adjustment for OM 10 and higher owners. Nice and easy, no fuss. There's an OM stylus for 78 RPM discs if you need that.

Klaus65

Post by Klaus65 » 21 Sep 2018 15:16

Excellent, thanks for the tip and I will be researching that…!

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 22 Sep 2018 23:06

I have not noticed any problems playing mono LP's with stereo cartridge set-up. Some of the old mono LP's do not have much tweet in the music which may have been typical of some economy produced music projects in the 1950's.