the home of the turntable

Help with Dual 601

twice the fun

Help with Dual 601

Postby mikethompson1981 » 15 Jun 2018 12:55

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and hope to find some Help with my Dual 601. I love this record player and it has been in my family since it was new.

It was working fine, aside from the occasional runaway motor issue, until now. I think my 2 year old son hit something because now;

1) the tone arm plays the side of the record, lifts up, moves towards the center of the platter and drops. It doesn't return to the 'resting position'

2) the repeat function no longer works - related to number 1 perhaps?

I have downloaded the service manual but haven't found anything specific to my issues. Can anyone Help me out?
mikethompson1981

Canada

Re: Help with Dual 601

Postby dualcan » 15 Jun 2018 22:07

Hi,
I am having "issues" with a new computer set up as my old one just bit the dust.
Writing on my tiny palm top is a pain...
As soon as the new unit is purged from all things Microsoft and running with my favorite Linux plus all back-ups installed, I will be able to access all my pics to Help.
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby mikethompson1981 » 15 Jun 2018 22:52

mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby DSJR » 16 Jun 2018 09:38

Please check the pimpel first as once it's crumbled away, your symptoms are often what happens. Replacements are available and Don here (Mrow2) has these as well as the grease used, should you need it. The pimpel sits on a sprung pin and the replacement should allow this 'spring action.'
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby mikethompson1981 » 16 Jun 2018 21:22

Can anyone direct me to some good YouTube videos? I'm handy with a screwdriver but don't want to make things worse with the turntable.
mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby paulrenea » 16 Jun 2018 23:01

Take a look at Dual belt drive turntables at YouTube and see what pops-up. This should give you close examples of what is going on the underside. Before doing any work on the underside, remove the platter. If you have not yet cleaned off the old oils and grease from the underside you should do so with 70-91% rubbing alcohol and Q-tips. Re-lube as per Service Manual instructions. Create a secure stand which protects the whole of the tonearm. Remove cartridge and counter weight. Do what the SM says and take your time getting to understand what is going on with the player. Expect to spend a bit of money on different lubricants. If the queing drops too fast you will also need 500000 silicone oil. It is typically best to just fix a given area and move onto the next problem area. I place a line of tuna and or mushroom tin cans in a row near work area so that reassembly of parts going back together is easier and orderly.
paulrenea

United States of America

Postby DSJR » 18 Jun 2018 09:52

The Dualcan site gives clear pictorial Help too on many models and has great articles.

The 601 isn't so different from all the others and all the basic auto functions are similar if not absolutely identical on many models. The 701 and 721 have an 'upside down' cam layout, but I think the 601 is more conventional in this...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kymbgoyw260s ... pc3Ha?dl=0

Later Duals replaced metal with loaded plastic parts which, if nothing else, made them quieter still in operation, but the 601 is a transition model from full autochange to the simpler single play models I think, so is made more like the more complex idler driven top models.
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby mikethompson1981 » 18 Jun 2018 18:50

Yes Dualcan has been nice enough to send the link to his site with the pictures. I have no doubt this will be most helpful. I have no idea what a steuerpimpel is, so I will be starting from scratch!
mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby DSJR » 18 Jun 2018 19:03

Once you discover what the main lever is and what it does, the pimpel's task will become obvious ;) The main lever rocks back and forth to raise and lower the arm and rotates side to side to move the arm around. The flattened end engages with the arm's lower assembly when auto-cycling and the dratted pimpel is the little rubbery bit that connects with it, needing friction and grease in equal measures to work properly. After twenty five years or so, this rubbery 'pimpel' hardens and eventually crumbles away, leaving a spring loaded 'pin' to engage with the main lever. this pin doesn't have enough contact area to move the arm laterally when asked to by the main lever so the arm usually raises and drops back down again, with often no lateral movement at all...

mrow2 (Don) here supplies fresh pimpels (mine needed lightly trimming, but I think he's sorted it now), together with the original recommended Alvania grease (if you decide to use a different grease such as Super-Lube or whatever, you'll need to totally remove the previous stuff) and a neat info sheet with pictures on how to do a basic service - unless you're very unlucky, the 601 shouldn't *need* a total strip down yet apart from the motor to check and lubricate the bearings... Even the main bearing on mine had some runny oil left in the bottom..

Hope this helps. Nice old deck the 601 with a superb tonearm that'll take most expensive cartridges out there (under a grand anyway) to good sonic effect - the M20E many came with is absolutely superb and needn't ever be changed as proper styli can still be got for it. Worth getting a new drive belt for it and if the pitch control is treated gently, you may not need a pitch belt - mines stretched a little, but hasn't broken up yet so I've left it alone for now.
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby mikethompson1981 » 19 Jun 2018 18:18

Well the arm comes down in the appropriate spot now, but it doesn't return when the side is played. It just lifts and then drops again.

Hopefully I will have some time on the weekend to take a look at it, take some pictures, and compare with the dualcan site.
mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby DSJR » 19 Jun 2018 20:29

One thing aside from the pimpel (shown clearly in fig 12 in the service manual but not labelled there). If the lift height as set on the thumb-nut on the lift piston next to the tonearm bearing assembly is set too high (fig 11 #211 in the service manual), the arm is pushed against is maximum height end stop (fig 12 #62) and the added friction will prevent free movement. In addition to the cueing height, cycle the mechanism half way through and make sure there's a smidge free tonearm movement vertically against the stop. I can't explain it more clearly, but hopefully you'll understand (fig 23 is described but not clearly drawn- I take the 3mm figure as the amount as seen from the top of the rest to the top of the black rear headshell section).

The service manual here has some well drawn diagrams showing the basically simple mechanism. Hope it all helps..
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby mikethompson1981 » 23 Jun 2018 01:39

I'm going to definitely have to pour over that service manual.

The is all for the great advice and tips! I'm going to have to poke around these forums a little more after I get the 601 all sorted.
mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby mikethompson1981 » 23 Jun 2018 01:39

Oops! Double post
mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby mikethompson1981 » 24 Jun 2018 20:01

Well I think I found my problem. My steuerpimpel is gone... Maybe? Here are some pictures I took and it looks like where it should be there isn't anything, unless I'm missing something? Best pictures I could take with my tablet sorry!

the small screw with the red paint on it should have the steuerpimpel on it correct? That greasy scratch looks like a sign as well.

Thanks guys!
mikethompson1981

Canada

Postby Spinner45 » 24 Jun 2018 20:32

mikethompson1981 wrote:Well I think I found my problem. My steuerpimpel is gone... Maybe? Here are some pictures I took and it looks like where it should be there isn't anything, unless I'm missing something? Best pictures I could take with my tablet sorry!

the small screw with the red paint on it should have the steuerpimpel on it correct? That greasy scratch looks like a sign as well.

Thanks guys!

The dark grey/black post with the smaller pin sticking out of it, is where the pimple goes, right on the tip of that pin.
It's missing.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Next

Return to Dual