1209 tone arm horizontal spring tension will not release

twice the fun
vinyl_vapor

1209 tone arm horizontal spring tension will not release

Post by vinyl_vapor » 13 Jun 2018 17:29

Hello All. I am fairly new here. Been lurking, reading, learning.... I have recently come into possession of some turntables. Dual, Garrard and B&O. I am goning through them one by one. surface cleaning, checking set down points, change spindkle function etc.

A Dual 1209 is MIS-behaving. the tone arm will not release horizontal tension spring. it has about 3 inches of "FREE" movement from rest to about 2 lead in tracks width and then is spring loaded any further over the record.

after tilting the player up onto its side to take a look under the hood, to no avail, I set it back down and low and behold the tone arm was completely free. plugged it back in and hit start. same thing again.

then I tilted it again and this time manually brought over the tone arm to start and it worked fine....

Any ideas. I have looked for some time for similar issues ppl have had, but I don't think I am using the correct terms.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: 1209 tone arm horizontal spring tension will not release

Post by Hugues TR4 » 14 Jun 2018 11:13

Try a reset by starting the complete cycle with the arm attached to arm rest (push the start lever to "start").
Sometimes helps.

Cheers,

Hugh.

vinyl_vapor

Post by vinyl_vapor » 14 Jun 2018 13:43

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 14 Jun 2018 15:01

Have you tried the re-setting I just mentioned?
1. Tie the arm on its armrest with the lock.
2. Press "start/automatic", the platter will turn and the whole mechanism will engage for one complete cycle.
3. Unlock the arm and start again.
This method is used to reset the complete cycle when the TT has been moved or transported.
I would also download the 1209 service manual available in the VE library (see top line of this page): it features a FAQ for most of the issues.
Come back and ask our Dual Guru Klaus if it doesn't work…
Hope having been of Help,
Cheers,

Hugh.

vinyl_vapor

Post by vinyl_vapor » 14 Jun 2018 16:12

Not sure how to apply this info to my problem but I think the solution is in here at the bottom half of the second paragraph
Attachments
1209 tone arm release .jpg

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 14 Jun 2018 18:04

vinyl_vapor wrote:Not sure how to apply this info to my problem but I think the solution is in here at the bottom half of the second paragraph
I doubt that's the problem, unless the turntable's adjustments have been messed with by someone.
After 40 years, I conclude that old lubricants have caused issues, requiring a teardown and proper re-lube, along with insuring the trip pawl assembly is perfectly free.

DSJR
long player
long player

Post by DSJR » 14 Jun 2018 19:43

I have to agree with pinners post above *as long as* the mech hasn't been got at by someone before yourself!

Duals just don't fail like this. They may dry up and if parts are forced when in this state, things can be strained or broken. Basically, the arm only touches links in play mode when near the rest to start and stop the drive and the operation here is easily seen (remove the platter and tilt the deck plate up while moving the arm to and from its rest to watch how these links work - make sure the auto trip parts are retracted before replacing the platter).

The 'main lever' rocks like a see-saw to lift and lower the arm an engages with the infamous 'pimpel' to move the arm around laterally. At the end of the cycle, this lever see-saws so as to completely disengage with the tonearm 'lower segment' and allowing the arm to move totally freely. It's all very simple indeed really and watching it work is a huge Help before any messing around is done. Old grease should be carefully removed and either replaced with fresh original (available from mrow2 Don here), or with a good modern alternative SPARINGLY as instructed. Have a look on Dualcan's site for pictorial stripdowns and rebuilds.

vinyl_vapor

Post by vinyl_vapor » 14 Jun 2018 20:04

I don't knoiw what to say... I got if through a liquidation of a collection. the collection was was from a gentleman that Collected and restored equipment of this era. everything I got is SUPER clean and nearly perfect cosmetically. Dual, Sansui, B&O, Kenwood.

I will flip it tonight and take video of malfunction from the underside and post it.

Thank you all in advance...

mrow2
long player
long player

Post by mrow2 » 14 Jun 2018 22:09

DSJR describes it well. It is more than likely triggered by the dried lubes, might only be in one particular area but operation should not be forced, therefore the reset might not be the best way to move forward if any part of the cycle forces parts to oppose one another. The whole thing is based on clutch design, and if levers are not mis-positioned then they mostly just slide and nudge one into another. The cam gear drives it, and care should be taken with all parts associated with that. Normally there wouldn't be anything broken, but I'm not sure now. Levers in wrong positions will prevent operation, it is a matter of studying the operation to visually see what is hanging up. A lever may be out of position. 1209 is sort of a crossover between 1019 and 1218, with some aspects of each design to make it work. I think it more resembles the former top of line 1019 underneath, with feature, control appearances and positions of 1218 on top. Without understanding how they function, it's harder to analyze what part isn't right.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 14 Jun 2018 23:34

vinyl_vapor wrote:I don't knoiw what to say... I got if through a liquidation of a collection. the collection was was from a gentleman that Collected and restored equipment of this era. everything I got is SUPER clean and nearly perfect cosmetically. Dual, Sansui, B&O, Kenwood.

I will flip it tonight and take video of malfunction from the underside and post it.

Thank you all in advance...
This "gentleman" mentioned could possibly not be experienced enough to know about proper servicing.
Specualation of course, but I've seen many cases just like this.
Not everyone knows how to properly work on these machines.