the home of the turntable

Dual 1228 in United Audio Plinth: Dust cover hinges

twice the fun

Dual 1228 in United Audio Plinth: Dust cover hinges

Postby dbxdx5 » 16 Apr 2018 16:25

I'm missing the original hinges for this table, plinth, and cover combination. Are the repros sold by Pats Audio a good option?

dbxdx5

Re: Dual 1228 in United Audio Plinth: Dust cover hinges

Postby tcolegrove » 16 Apr 2018 18:04

Why wouldn't they be? They're plastic and shaped just like the originals. After all - they just need to hold the dust cover in the upright position.
tcolegrove
contributor

United States of America

Postby mrow2 » 16 Apr 2018 18:20

This wood base did not come with hinges AFAIK. At the time the base was built, the Duals (like 1019, 1209 models for instance) were distributed by United Audio and did not come with hinges (at least in the US anyway). At some point the base was built using similar materials with 90 degree angles; the lid had a tuck-under lip to hold the cover in upright position, the sides were walnut on MDF. After that, the base became a plastic frame with vinyl-wrap MDF parts and that was when real hinges were introduced.

I found this link: [/url]https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiIiOrWqb_aAhUES6wKHbIKCD4QjRx6BAgAEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckaudiomart.com%2Fdetails%2F649008697-dual_1228_turntable%2Fimages%2F462555%2F&psig=AOvVaw1dGknUNt2FeA8IQ1_Dse8y&ust=1523986299418148

But then I also saw 1228s with your base and small hinges (I've never had one like this), so it may be possible. Looks to me like the base was evolving about the time this model series of turntables were being shipped to N. America. The Canada base units were generally better looking and built better, and they were all provided by the distributors up to a certain point and If I have it right Dual took over at some point during the style changes.

That base evolved to an injection plastic version (no MDF) with wood-grain vinyl appliques. This type of tapered base (yours, pictured) had molded lift-off dust covers and MDF+ real walnut veneer wood construction. I don't know if Pats hinges could be adapted to this base or not. Your dust cover appears to be in great condition, don't risk damaging it.
Last edited by mrow2 on 16 Apr 2018 19:10, edited 6 times in total.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 16 Apr 2018 18:37

I just lift my covers off and place them somewhere safe when I'm playing since I find the hinges tend to contribute to stress cracks near the hinge area, especially with the heavy brown covers.

Once a crack starts it tends to work its way across and the next thing you know a corner has come off.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby tcolegrove » 16 Apr 2018 20:32

mrow2 wrote:This wood base did not come with hinges AFAIK. At the time the base was built, the Duals (like 1019, 1209 models for instance) were distributed by United Audio and did not come with hinges (at least in the US anyway).

Acutally, there were some base and dust cover combinations where the dust cover had two notches in the back (about 1/2" wide and 1/4" high) to accommodate a plastic retainer that would allow the dust cover to tilt up and stay up on its own. They look like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dual-T ... SwdjRasvVF
tcolegrove
contributor

United States of America

Postby dbxdx5 » 17 Apr 2018 03:32

Interesting.

To answer your question tcolegrove "Why wouldn't they be a good option?" for the same reason that any reproduction of an original part can be a hit or miss. Does the material used in the repro have the same or superior characteristics as the original, e.g. strength, flexibility, etc.? How close are all of the dimensions to the original? How is quality control? Unless you have used Pat's hinges yourself in a 1228 and compared them to originals, your dismissal of my question with "they're plastic" and the "same shape" isn't particularly useful.
dbxdx5

Postby kenny123 » 17 Apr 2018 04:30

Prone to cracking the dustcover like Tink said,and prone to causing distortion while playing,though nice for holding the lid on when not in use in case of a jar or bump.I just take mine off when using.
kenny123

United States of America

Return to Dual