Dual 1237 Cartridge you all are using

twice the fun
cattleprodboy

Dual 1237 Cartridge you all are using

Post by cattleprodboy » 14 Apr 2018 22:09

I recently acquired a Dual 1237 and it has a Grado F3 on it. I was curious as to your thoughts on this cartridge and also wondering what everyone else has on their Dual 1237s. Thanks much!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Dual 1237 Cartridge you all are using

Post by Tinkaroo » 14 Apr 2018 22:16

I have a similar model 1249 and I am using a Shure M97HE Era IV on it.

mrow2
long player
long player

Post by mrow2 » 15 Apr 2018 18:20

This turntable benefits from the same cartridges as the other Duals, and your cartridge is a good one if it's in good shape. Only spend that money if you just want to try things or have researched and are seeking a sound with specific characteristics like really bright highs or full, rounded bass and mid tones, characteristics like that. You'll get as many opinions as there are participants here; it's very subjective. The Shure that Tinkeroo mentioned is a very nice one, there is also appreciation in this forum for an upper end Audio Technica and the mid-scale Ortofon models, to hear a major difference you are looking at spending $100usd to $300usd I believe, and it's very easy to spend a whole lot more.

cattleprodboy

Post by cattleprodboy » 16 Apr 2018 01:35

Does anyone know anything about this cartridge LP GEAR CARBON FIDELITY CF3600LE phono cartridge? Sure hyped up and wondered if worth giving a go. Might anyways for a $35 try!

mrow2
long player
long player

Post by mrow2 » 16 Apr 2018 22:25

I'm not thrilled by a description that starts with

"This cartridge digs into the grooves and gives a musical presentation with very good detail, excellent bass and natural midrange. I have had super pricey cartridges and I don't miss them."

I dunno, for maybe $15 more you could have a respected, genuine Audio Technica AT95e with a genuine AT stylus and quality. Maybe less, if someone is promoting them. This is a great sounding cartridge for the money and keep in mind the stylus is the critical part of something like this. The 3600E reminds me of the lowest-end Audio Technica AT3600, the difference being in the stylus build.

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT3600- ... dpSrc=srch

I would bet the CF3600LE (proprietary for LP Gear) includes the bottom of the line, least expensive elliptical stylus that AT produces. Description indicates carbon fibre (nothing special) cantilever with elliptical stylus. Both products will work, but between those two I'd rather have the AT95e on my tonearm.

cattleprodboy

Post by cattleprodboy » 16 Apr 2018 22:50

I am probably just going to go with a Grado Blue stylus. Wish I had the cash for a red!!

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 17 Apr 2018 19:05

Current Grado Prestige models to me are dead bland, dull and boring. Others like the warm and softer tones although I'd argue they're not high fidelity in quality if closeness to the original recording as allowed in the record cut is the goal... Your choice sir! Forty year old Grado models were livelier and I liked the cheapie models very much (FCE and F3 from memory) and am reminded how good they were as a brand by the F1+ I was using a very few weeks ago which still sounds good and has a good diamond on it still...

For the 1237, I'd urge you to update this cartridge to something like a Goldring E3 or AT520 at the very least. Modern diamonds are better made and polished I believe and the 'tone' of such a cartridge is more accurate in my view. The Shure 97XE is a little less lively up top and the higher capacitance of the Dual's exit cables will minimise high frequency roll-offs (Duals and top line Shure cartridges were always a great sonic match together in my experience).

By the way, you are aware that Grado pack their cartridge bodies with shedloads of black goo. This is never in quite the same place when styli get changed and performance couldn't be guaranteed by removing and replacing the stylus I seem to remember. Current Prestige models are basically three styli types, the other three models being 'selected' versions of the base model at leach 'level.'

cattleprodboy

Post by cattleprodboy » 20 Apr 2018 20:50

I was so leaning just upgrading stylus on the Grado but now probably not! I will check out recommendations.