the home of the turntable

Grub screw

twice the fun

Grub screw

Postby fsj » 06 Dec 2017 23:42

Ok. My Dual turntable is sounding good in its 1940's cabinet. My only problem now is the grub screw fell out and my cartridge keeps falling off due to the release lever not being locked. Where does this screw go? is there a hole it threads into? What should I be looking for to put this screw back where it belongs so I don't keep releasing the cartridge?
fsj

United Kingdom

Re: Grub screw

Postby Minstrel SE » 07 Dec 2017 17:52

Hi

It goes into the tiny hole in the top of the headshell. It is important as you say to stop the cartridge coming off which happens surprisingly easily when handling the lift arm. It has a thread on it mainly so it bites against the metal arm when screwing it out. A top tip is making sure the metal arm is held slightly against it when removing or the screw can just spin without raising up

Its a bit of a crazy design from Dual...clever in its own way but users should never have to be messing around with a tiny 6mm length grub screw. You can buy grubscrews online or rig something up yourself

I think they are available from Dualfred and you are best just buying the actual item.

All the best with it
Minstrel SE

United Kingdom

Postby Minstrel SE » 07 Dec 2017 19:13

whoops silly me..... if you still have the grub screw it goes down into the only hole you will see on the 505-1 headshell...for a moment there I thought you had lost the screw. As I cant edit the above now you cant count yourself lucky if you have the screw as they are not particularly cheap for what they are

Best wishes
Minstrel SE

United Kingdom

Postby fsj » 07 Dec 2017 22:01

Thank you. The manuals aren't very clear and don't seem to show a picture or explain it very well. It will prove tricky to put it back with old eyes and not so steady hands. I'll let you know when I've done it. Thanks again!
fsj

United Kingdom

Postby Minstrel SE » 07 Dec 2017 22:53

fsj wrote:Thank you. The manuals aren't very clear and don't seem to show a picture or explain it very well. It will prove tricky to put it back with old eyes and not so steady hands. I'll let you know when I've done it. Thanks again!

Yes you should be ok as it goes into the hole a fair way before it needs any screwing in. Sometimes they slip down quite far as its not really a full thread contact. You could do with a micro screwdriver set which are fairly cheap.

A blob of blue tac is handy to hold it in your hand as you place it in. You get the hang of it after its done once and becomes quite easy to get in and out.

You have to be careful because if it hits the floor you will have a job finding it. Ive ended up with a bike light shining on the floor on at least one occasion. It's also probably the most expensive grub screw you will ever own :)

Best wishes
Minstrel SE

United Kingdom

Return to Dual