How long for a Dual to gum up..??

twice the fun
goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

How long for a Dual to gum up..??

Post by goatbreath » 12 Aug 2019 13:42

I am going through a Technics Phase just now,but starting to miss the sound of the Dual 1226 I own..

I haven't used the Dual for 3 Months..I know this might offend the Dual Faithful..lol

How long does a Dual have to sit unused before problems start to happen with the oil gumming up etc..?
I know it is probably longer than 3 Months,but I know Duals can be temperamental especially about servicing..

I wish I had more Space,I'm really missing the sound of the M 75 D conical Cartridge on the 1226 too..

62vauxhall

Re: How long for a Dual to gum up..??

Post by 62vauxhall » 12 Aug 2019 18:42

I would love to know this myself.

I’ve got two Dual’s, three Miracords, a BSR McDonald and a Zero 100. Plus I just brought home a TD124 II.

It’s not possible to line them up for use at will. It took my a long time to get the changers operational and it concerns me that they don’t get enough exercise.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 12 Aug 2019 18:58

It really depends upon the quality of the original servicing, and also the climate. The Alvania dries out, but only very slowly. Most likely you didn't use synthetic oil in the motor, but that will evaporate across many years (which is probably why some restorers simply add new oil during their servicing without a full sintered bearing cleaning -- they run the risk of gumming things up, though). The likely answer is that, just like our own aging frames, the Dual will limber up very quickly (especially only after 3 months) if it's been nicely serviced, and should be good for several years. ~ D

PS An image I'm working on for the cover of my newly revised PDF Guide, several of these and more besides, are my kids who have since found new families; each one represents many hours. My own BSRs (just two), Miracords and Zero plus an assortment of Technics and C.E.C. units also have new owners but they sure looked fine when they left home.
Attachments
Cover page montage cc small.jpg
Cover page montage is not complete.
(154.95 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 12 Aug 2019 20:32

Thank You. :)

I am also drooling at your picture..

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 12 Aug 2019 22:15

Yeah, no kidding - a nice assortment. I’ve sent a dozen or so off to new homes - some gifted, some bartered and its hard. They’re like your kids, nurtured and everything.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 13 Aug 2019 01:18

Thanks.... I miss my kids! Still have some, though, and other adoptions too. ~ D

Fah

Post by Fah » 13 Aug 2019 23:36

My 1237 sat in a basement unused for 30 years, it needed a new belt, and cleaning of the headshell contacts, but worked fine otherwise!

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 14 Aug 2019 08:20

I have bought two duals (1225 and 601) that had been sitting for I don't know how long. Neither had issues with gummed up lubrication. Both needed a new steuerpimpel though (surprise!). But of course I have done a cleaning and relube to be sure they´re ok.

The Garrard Zero 100s is another story. Here in some places there wasn´t grease any more but really good glue. Took heat from soldering iron to loosen up