Dual 1264 mounting 1/2" cartridge

twice the fun
mgl99

Dual 1264 mounting 1/2" cartridge

Post by mgl99 » 14 May 2019 23:33

I have spent a good deal of time restoring a Dual 1264. The cartridge on it is an Empire 2300 "P" mount type. Even with a new stylus, it doesn't sound as I would like it to. I have several other cartridges that I favor, but they are all standard 1/2" mount (I don't like "P" mount cartridges".

Per the service manual it requires a Dual kit #262 186 to make the conversion. Since I don't have this kit, I was wondering if anyone has successfully figured a way to do it with good results. My guess is that the "kit" is just the mounting screws, nuts, and what looks to be a couple of spacers. I have several mounting screws and nuts provided when you purchase a cartridge. I don't know what the intent of the spacers is other then to get the attack angle correct to the grooves. Please let me know if you have any ideas. I would rather have some input than to experiment, but one way or the other, I'm going to convert this TT arm to a standard cartridge arrangement. This Empire cartridge sucks! The TT operates perfectly, but the sound is not something I'm going to be able to live with.

analoged

Re: Dual 1264 mounting 1/2" cartridge

Post by analoged » 16 May 2019 16:02

Here is what the kit consists of:
1/2" mount
Spacers
Extra weight
Alignment gauge
Hardware kit
IMG_2483 (2).JPG
(109.09 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Dual 1264 mounting 1/2" cartridge

Post by DSJR » 16 May 2019 16:46

Not sure you'd need the spacers - I never did and have a small collection here. I always used to place the nuts on top but your own view may differ. As repeatedly said, unless Dual changed this in late decks and using a card type alignment gauge, set the inner null (overhang adjustment) at roughly 60mm from disc centre, which should align the cartridge and stylus to Dual's own design settings.