Dual 1008A

twice the fun
terryg66
United States of America

Dual 1008A

Post by terryg66 » 08 Feb 2019 21:16

I have a Dual 1008A turntable that was a feature on a 1963 Grundig stereo console. The Dual was working but sounded as if the motor was dragging a bit. So...I removed it from the console housing to clean it, using the service manual from this (Vinylengine) great site. After cleaning and a small bit of lubricating, I replaced the turntable, but the platter will no longer turn...I have power, I can hear the sound when I lift the arm....I did not remove any parts and I am sure that I did not break anything...but still nothing!! Help....

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Dual 1008A

Post by dualcan » 09 Feb 2019 01:21

Hi,
does the motor turn (with arm lifted off restpost..)?
are the intermediate and idler wheels clean/
are these wheels too hard, offering no grip to the platter and each other?
is the platter inner idler drive surface clean?
Regards,
k

terryg66
United States of America

Post by terryg66 » 09 Feb 2019 16:35

I will check all of these things....I did clean the idler wheel (Big one), I'll check the intermediate. When I lift the arm from the rest post, the motor sounds as if it is engaging so I will remove the platter and see if the motor is in fact turning. The platter inner idler drive surface is clean. Thanks! I will advise after cleaning intermediate idler wheel and observing the motor.

TG

terryg66
United States of America

Post by terryg66 » 10 Feb 2019 16:14

So....I checked a couple of things. I removed the platter and lifted the arm from rest post, nothing moved. I replaced the platter with selector on 33 RPM and manually rotated it, observing (through the holes in platter) the idler wheel turning but the intermediate idler wheel did not move... is that normal?? I also engaged the START switch, manually rotated the platter and the arm rotated and all mechanical operations seemed to be operating normally, then engaged the STOP switch, again rotating manually and arm returned as advertised...so...any ideas on what to look for from this point??

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 12 Feb 2019 02:17

Hi,
For all the units from 1006 to 1008a. the drive is from motor via speed pulley, intermediate wheels and idler onto the internal platter rim:
1008a drive.jpg
(201.37 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
For 33RPM, the motor pulley (item 130) contacts intermediate wheel 112, itself contacting the idler 126 which then drives the inner rim of the platter. Each component/wheel in that lineup must be clean, turn freely and the rubber tires of these, be pliant in order to drive the platter.
There is also a transit position for these changers in the speed selector switch (dot between 78 and 45 on plate 27a). make sure your speed selector is not on that position, but placed properly onto the desired speed.
The problem lies primarily on the condition or the rubber tires and secondly on dried lubes, inhibiting the idler and intermediate wheel levers/arm parts from moving into place properly.
Regards,
k