the home of the turntable

Steuerpimpl install

twice the fun

Help with steuerpimpl install

Postby Pjl52 » 14 Jan 2018 01:20

I just received a Dual 1246 from ebay that turns out (no surprise) to have some problems.

What appeared to be going wrong was a host of issues related to a bad steuerpimpl. (As often found in these pages.)

I opened it up and saw that the steuerpimpl was "gone". I fabricated a substitute (minding the specs) but in doing so. I moved the gear a bit because I had trouble getting the main lever back on over the steuerpimpl. I appears I took the lever off during the part of the cycle when tolerances are tight between the level and the steuerpimpl.

Now thinks seem better. However, now the arm swings all the way to the center when I start it. I wonder if I upset the synchronization by shifting the clear. Perhaps I set the pin of the lever in the wrong place. If so, how do I know how to reset the lever with the gear in the correct position.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Phil in snowy Rochester
Pjl52

United States of America

Re: Help with steuerpimpl install

Postby Spinner45 » 14 Jan 2018 04:41

The plastic cycle gear has a TRACK that the main lever pin rides in.
It should be cleaned and lightly greased.
Spinner45

United States of America

Re: Help with steuerpimpl install

Postby DSJR » 14 Jan 2018 11:50

Carefully remove the main lever, cycle the cam to 'rest' position and then follow the instructions given above before refitting, locating the main lever 'pin' properly in its groove. Later Duals used mon-metallic parts a lot and usually these are fine and aid quiet running, but be careful.
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Return to Dual