What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

anything and nothing
Post Reply
recaptcha

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by recaptcha » 08 Aug 2017 14:32

I never got into Magnavox odyssey, but have heard it is REALLY cool.

I have actually owned about 30 systems at one time! :lol: :-"

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 21045
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by vinyl master » 09 Aug 2017 01:17

recaptcha wrote:
I have actually owned about 30 systems at one time! :lol: :-"
A hobby that DEFINITELY qualifies you as a nerd! :lol:

recaptcha

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by recaptcha » 09 Aug 2017 02:38

:lol: I don't have all of them anymore, but the ones I liked the most I kept. At one time, I had them all hooked up at once to 5 TV's! I couldn't fit all of them on one TV, and really didn't want to get a switch box. Pretty much the only systems I haven't got into is 3DO, NEO-GEO, NEC, and odyssey. also, I didn't get involved with Atari's 8-bit line or with Amiga. I might someday though. :-)

contented
member
member
Posts: 80
Joined: 10 Jul 2017 20:42

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by contented » 04 Sep 2017 14:28

Tinkaroo wrote:I bought a Canon LCD calculator today which was made in 1979. I also own some earlier LED and VFD types, probably a dozen or so. I really like some of the ones made between 1972-80. The quality of them was a lot better than what is made today and they were technological marvels for their time.
Canon LC-81M.JPG
I also seem to have about eight clock radios including a flip clock.

I think I've established my credentials. :)

What so you collect or what hobby do you do that some might think qualifies you as a nerd?

To a lot of people, being a nerd is overboard on playing records, tapes, cassettes and not wanting a mobile phone, all in this modern age of technology. I am sure there was more contentment with less materialism back in my youth. Nights round the pub at 9 old pence a pint on Apprenticeship money of £2-12shillings and 6 pence for a 42 hour week. Lots of mates and no one constantly sending fax messages or meeting only on the Internet.
contented.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7717
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 04 Sep 2017 15:34

contented wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:I bought a Canon LCD calculator today which was made in 1979. I also own some earlier LED and VFD types, probably a dozen or so. I really like some of the ones made between 1972-80. The quality of them was a lot better than what is made today and they were technological marvels for their time.
Canon LC-81M.JPG
I also seem to have about eight clock radios including a flip clock.

I think I've established my credentials. :)

What so you collect or what hobby do you do that some might think qualifies you as a nerd?

To a lot of people, being a nerd is overboard on playing records, tapes, cassettes and not wanting a mobile phone, all in this modern age of technology. I am sure there was more contentment with less materialism back in my youth. Nights round the pub at 9 old pence a pint on Apprenticeship money of £2-12shillings and 6 pence for a 42 hour week. Lots of mates and no one constantly sending fax messages or meeting only on the Internet.
contented.
That sounds like fun times indeed!

And you managed that without "facebook friends" or following some piece of fluff celebrity on twitter either. How did we ever survive without those things?

contented
member
member
Posts: 80
Joined: 10 Jul 2017 20:42

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by contented » 04 Sep 2017 15:50

Being in control of a youth club helped and even now I do not do social media except this one. I have been guilty of three marriages (four kids with the first one) and lots of women on the dating sites. All finished now unfortunately; although am trying hard with my district nurse, maybe that is nerdish.
Perhaps I will add that as another hobby.
contented

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7717
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 04 Sep 2017 15:56

I think you will be OK as long as this isn't the nurse you are talking about.
nurse ratched.jpg
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 21045
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2017 07:26

Tinkaroo wrote:
contented wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:I bought a Canon LCD calculator today which was made in 1979. I also own some earlier LED and VFD types, probably a dozen or so. I really like some of the ones made between 1972-80. The quality of them was a lot better than what is made today and they were technological marvels for their time.
Canon LC-81M.JPG
I also seem to have about eight clock radios including a flip clock.

I think I've established my credentials. :)

What so you collect or what hobby do you do that some might think qualifies you as a nerd?

To a lot of people, being a nerd is overboard on playing records, tapes, cassettes and not wanting a mobile phone, all in this modern age of technology. I am sure there was more contentment with less materialism back in my youth. Nights round the pub at 9 old pence a pint on Apprenticeship money of £2-12shillings and 6 pence for a 42 hour week. Lots of mates and no one constantly sending fax messages or meeting only on the Internet.
contented.
That sounds like fun times indeed!

And you managed that without "facebook friends" or following some piece of fluff celebrity on twitter either. How did we ever survive without those things?
Indeed...VE is better than Facebook anyway...We have a lot more in common here! Besides, it's no fun to have 500 "Facebook Friends" and not even know or converse with half of them...I'm quite old school...I mean, I collect records, for cryin' out loud! :lol:

It's not that we use the technology, but HOW we use it that counts! :wink:

That said, things are quite a lot different than they were in the old days...Less distractions and more active, involving entertainments, instead of what passes for "entertainment" nowadays...i probably sound like an old coot (which I am NOT, by the way...), but when I was a kid, we could make our own fun out of nothing! "Cheap thrills" as Janis Joplin called 'em! :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7717
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Sep 2017 10:04

I agree with you that VE is way better than fakebook and VE friends are better too. 8)

I think you are right that as children we managed to make fun out of next to nothing since in many cases we didn't have all of the material things and stimulations that kids do today. We were fortunate to be able to afford a bicycle when I was a kid and it was a major sacrifice for my parents to be able to afford one. One used B&W TV with three stations for the whole family to share. One dial up phone and no hogging it for hours either. My dad had to fix an old TV someone was throwing out or we wouldn't have had one.

And no, I didn't have to gather coal along the railway tracks like my dad did during the depression, but my parents had it worse than we did economically, plus two world wars too.

technics tony
member
member
Posts: 44
Joined: 22 Sep 2017 22:03

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by technics tony » 29 Sep 2017 23:08

oh my God, I have sinned Big time. I play banjo & I love old slr & TLR cameras. some body save me.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 05:17
Location: Munich/Bavaria

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by lini » 30 Sep 2017 01:39

Tink: One of the reasons I don't like modern video/computer games that much anymore compared to the older ones - a lot of these have become really impressive on the praphics side, but for whatever reason, from a certain point on to me the more realistic the graphics became, the less fun the games became. Sometimes less is more - especially in terms of inspring one's imagination.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

recaptcha

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by recaptcha » 30 Sep 2017 02:25

lini wrote:Tink: One of the reasons I don't like modern video/computer games that much anymore compared to the older ones - a lot of these have become really impressive on the praphics side, but for whatever reason, from a certain point on to me the more realistic the graphics became, the less fun the games became. Sometimes less is more - especially in terms of inspring one's imagination.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Lini, I couldn't agree more! I program text adventures for C++ and C64 in my spare time!

TimeTwister is my latest, and the story is king, the graphics is non-existent, and the gameplay is gold! :D

It has a extensive map, a inventory menu, a cave that is impossible to get out of, oh yeah, and a time machine!

recaptcha

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by recaptcha » 30 Sep 2017 02:31

Does anyone know anything about this calculator?

I bought it at goodwill for $2.00.

http://mulder-thuis.nl/calculators/pict ... n-8301.jpg

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 21045
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by vinyl master » 30 Sep 2017 07:12

recaptcha wrote:Does anyone know anything about this calculator?

I bought it at goodwill for $2.00.

http://mulder-thuis.nl/calculators/pict ... n-8301.jpg
I don't know, but I'm glad to see that Soundesign made at least ONE useful product! :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7717
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 30 Sep 2017 09:51

recaptcha wrote:Does anyone know anything about this calculator?

I bought it at goodwill for $2.00.

http://mulder-thuis.nl/calculators/pict ... n-8301.jpg
That looks like a good buy on a model I haven't personally seen before.

There is some info on it here.:
http://ernst.mulder.com/calculators/sou ... index.html

It may have been made around 1973 and uses either 4 C cells or an adapter.

More info on it here, in this case the model 8300.(sold for $99 in 1973):
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collectio ... mah_334423

Post Reply