What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

anything and nothing
Post Reply
romanose

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by romanose » 07 Dec 2016 14:00

I'm a bit of a purist. I finally got a dvd of the original movie as it was in the theaters. I hated that director's cut with the refilmed bits. They've done the same with Star Wars.........Darn that Lucas! Luckily I still have the laserdisc from before Lucas mucked about with it. :)

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1607
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 07 Dec 2016 20:12

romanose wrote:I'm a bit of a purist. I finally got a dvd of the original movie as it was in the theaters. I hated that director's cut with the refilmed bits. They've done the same with Star Wars.........Darn that Lucas! Luckily I still have the laserdisc from before Lucas mucked about with it. :)
I know what you mean. VHS versions of Star Wars IV commanded a premium for a while precisely for that reason 8)

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany
Posts: 6682
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 05:17
Location: Munich/Bavaria

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by lini » 08 Dec 2016 12:52

Tinkaroo wrote: (...) I've seen some soldering irons that work on butane too before. (...)
I've got two of these - an Iroda Solderpro 50 and a Portasol ProPiezo (75) kit, both adjustable (rated 30 to 70 and 15 to 75 W equivalent). And I like both quite a lot for being nice to work with, including being pretty compact. And both produce a neat, soothing sizzle during operation... :D

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Dec 2016 18:10

Tinkaroo wrote:
romanose wrote:I got my set in the nineties and each two hour dvd was $25. I could have waited for the price to come down. I wanted the original series and the next generation too badly. I still haven't bought the others though. I have them on my hard drive so I could burn them I suppose.
That sounds like a great collection!

I will have to look into getting Star Trek-The Next Generation next.
Perhaps it might come on sale in the next month or so. :-k
I managed to get Star Trek-The Next Generation complete series box set today via auction for $38.

A brand new set of 49 discs for less than 78 cents per disc, not too shabby! =D>

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1607
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 12 Dec 2016 18:25

Tinkaroo wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:
romanose wrote:I got my set in the nineties and each two hour dvd was $25. I could have waited for the price to come down. I wanted the original series and the next generation too badly. I still haven't bought the others though. I have them on my hard drive so I could burn them I suppose.
That sounds like a great collection!

I will have to look into getting Star Trek-The Next Generation next.
Perhaps it might come on sale in the next month or so. :-k
I managed to get Star Trek-The Next Generation complete series box set today via auction for $38.

A brand new set of 49 discs for less than 78 cents per disc, not too shabby! =D>
Great Find. If you like reading Star Trek novels, here is one I whole heartedly recommend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-Feder ... SwXeJYMJgf

It will be a great read even though you probably know the story already.

Best from the Pampas,
Roberto

p.s. How can you tell its going to be a good STTNG episode? Riker has a beard :lol:

Deanna Troi in season one sounds like a thesaurus, and the characters are trying to find their pacing, but heck, its Star Trek, and good fun indeed 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Dec 2016 19:15

Thanks for the tips Roberto, I will keep an eye out for that.

I think in most series it takes a while for the characters to develope and get comfortable in their roles.

The Next Generation ran for seven seasons while the first just for three.The original series caught on big once it was shown in re-runs much more than when it first ran.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1607
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 12 Dec 2016 22:28

Tinkaroo wrote:Thanks for the tips Roberto, I will keep an eye out for that.

I think in most series it takes a while for the characters to develope and get comfortable in their roles.

The Next Generation ran for seven seasons while the first just for three.The original series caught on big once it was shown in re-runs much more than when it first ran.
You are most welcome Tinkaroo :D

IMO your comment regarding taking a while for the characters to develop is right on. For example, in "Charlie X" in the original series, season 1, Spock actually smiles as he plays a type of harp. Uncanny !

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Dec 2016 11:41

Yes, I watched that episode the other day!

I also noticed that Scottie was far different from how he was portrayed in later episodes. As the characters developed so did the interplay between them. I read that Chekov didn't join the cast until the second season, but it looks like most of them were there early on.

When watching the series years ago in replays they were sometimes shown out of sequence, so seeing them in sequence as they aired is a real learning experience in regards to character development.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Jan 2017 17:01

Canon Card LC-31 Calculator.JPG
(381.89 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
The nerdiness continues. I just picked up this 1980 Canon calculator which is somewhat similar to some of my others made by Canon from that time frame.

I also have a Canon LC-81M which is similar yellow LCD but with an aluminum front as well as a Canon 8MS which has the lovely VFD display.

These were very good quality calculators which were made in Japan, not like the junk they crank out today.
Canon Palmtronic 8MS.jpg
(126.27 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Feb 2017 15:35

I picked up the following stamps issued by Canada Post to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek.

The first is a nice colorful booklet which includes 15 stamps featuring Captain Kirk, Spock, Scottie and Dr. McCoy plus Commander Kor as well as stamps of the Enterprise and Klingon vessel.

The second is a set of two lenticular stamps which are the type that appear to move when you move your eye position.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 22 Feb 2017 10:36

Tinkaroo wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:
romanose wrote:I got my set in the nineties and each two hour dvd was $25. I could have waited for the price to come down. I wanted the original series and the next generation too badly. I still haven't bought the others though. I have them on my hard drive so I could burn them I suppose.
That sounds like a great collection!

I will have to look into getting Star Trek-The Next Generation next.
Perhaps it might come on sale in the next month or so. :-k
I managed to get Star Trek-The Next Generation complete series box set today via auction for $38.

A brand new set of 49 discs for less than 78 cents per disc, not too shabby! =D>
Unfortunately the Star Trek-Next Generation Complete Series I bought was supposedly run over by a fork lift at the post office! :shock: I know, I did not really believe it either but probably the seller figured he could get more money for it and made up this improbable excuse.

I did finally manage to reorder it on sale from another source but at a higher price. I'm pretty hopeful this one won't get run over by a fork lift, but if it does they will send another one. Good thing that the Enterprise didn't have to deal with fork lifts or they would have been obliterated and had their dreams crushed! #-o

romanose

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by romanose » 22 Feb 2017 17:27

Sorry to hear that. When I was getting mine it was through the mail too. Unfortunately there was a check cashing ring around Atlanta. They hired drunks and drug addicts to just walk down a street and look in every mail box. They found mine. I called the police, he said what do you want me to do about it? I called the post office they said call the police. I asked about a locking mail box they said only if I leave the key in the lock. I got a box at the post office for important stuff. Except my tax return. They got it one year, IRS said if it's cashed I'll have to hire a handwriting specialist to prove I didn't sign it. Luckily it never was cashed and they reissued the check in August. A month later they announced they had caught the ring leaders. Only took them 10 years to do it.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Feb 2017 09:50

romanose wrote:Sorry to hear that. When I was getting mine it was through the mail too. Unfortunately there was a check cashing ring around Atlanta. They hired drunks and drug addicts to just walk down a street and look in every mail box. They found mine. I called the police, he said what do you want me to do about it? I called the post office they said call the police. I asked about a locking mail box they said only if I leave the key in the lock. I got a box at the post office for important stuff. Except my tax return. They got it one year, IRS said if it's cashed I'll have to hire a handwriting specialist to prove I didn't sign it. Luckily it never was cashed and they reissued the check in August. A month later they announced they had caught the ring leaders. Only took them 10 years to do it.
It sounds as if the bureaucracy is the same everywhere, and the end result is to pass the buck! #-o

I am fortunate to have an old fashioned rural mailbox. It is too far from the liquor store for any drunks or whatever to walk past, and they would be too sober by the time they got there. I'm not sure they would be all that interested in Star Trek either! :lol:

almabes
senior member
senior member
Posts: 609
Joined: 05 Jul 2015 14:04
Location: Acworth, Georgia

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by almabes » 24 Feb 2017 01:23

I've been a nerd since grade school.
I taught myself programming in GWBASIC when I was 10.
By the time I was 14 I was administering a Novell Netware network at the high school I attended. I was using telnet and gopher on the fledgling internet via a dial up shell account in 1993, and got banned from using it by the morons running the school. They had no idea what an Internet was. In high school, I taught two other kids Pascal so we could have a computer programming team.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7517
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 24 Feb 2017 11:34

almabes wrote:I've been a nerd since grade school.
I taught myself programming in GWBASIC when I was 10.
By the time I was 14 I was administering a Novell Netware network at the high school I attended. I was using telnet and gopher on the fledgling internet via a dial up shell account in 1993, and got banned from using it by the morons running the school. They had no idea what an Internet was. In high school, I taught two other kids Pascal so we could have a computer programming team.
Those that others sometimes refer to as nerds tend to be inquisitive and have a thirst for knowledge. They don't pretend to be ignorant just to be part of the in crowd.

If you watch the original Star Trek the science officers in the blue shirts are not the victims whereas the support crew in the red shirts don't usually fare so well. #-o

Post Reply